Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Mental Illness in Children

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Have you received any help with this cnstarz?

Have you talked to their doctor? Counselor? 

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am a teacher and I see this in the classroom.  There are remarkably few resources for mentally ill children, and EVERYONE suffers- the parents, teachers, classmates, and the child him/herself.  My anxiety has worsened a lot over the past year, due at least in part to the fact that I had two extremely ill children who would become severely violent with no warning.  The hypervigilance was exhausting.
14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The Canadian Mental Health Association reports that between 6-11% of children have a mental illness that can be diagnosed. Unfortunately, only between 1 and 5% of these children are treated. Some conditions diagnosed in children include: oppositional defiant disorder, conduct disorder, depression, and anxiety disorders.

Members, what are your reactions to these statistics? If you think of your own experiences, how has your childhood affected your current state?

(This information was retrieved from the Canadian Mental Health Association, www.cmha-edmonton.ab.ca)

Reading this thread: