Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,537 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Medications that can worsen anxiety symptoms

15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dark:  Didn't even think of that, "some people just feel that they need something to go on..", and vice versa, that some think it's that thing, that causes the fire to grow.  Funny thing is, my sister has been like that since she was a kid...this position I'm in, or rather was in with anxiety...never really took in account her position before.  Honestly, I just thought she was constantly looking for a fight when she made incoherent blames at things that had no place in the argument.  Maybe this experience really was a Godsend.

That'd be real cool to have a conversation!  Although, it will be a bit hard right now as I only have internet access at work, or when I visit my parents (which isn't too often, and also why I rarely post on weekends).  When I do though, if it's ok, I think it would be cool to add a few heads to the conversation, as everyone on here really gets my nuerons flowing in different ways...anyone who wouldn't mind joining.  A flower is only beautiful with all it's pedals, no?

Gene:  To give someone a drug without being aware is a very sensitive issue.  All it will take is a few to bring the project down before tangible data is found.  Personally, I think it would be easier to monitor personality traits, and relate that to the drug/placebo.  As people can be broken down to stereotypes.  Research by the "Tree" method, where there's the core (placebo/real), and each branch is a personality type.  From this other researchers can add "leaves", other tidbits such as family, friends, global happenings, life happenings, and other contributable factors.  I don't know if that's a word..."contributable".  Aha...I like it for some reason though.

Lol Kitt, I'm so happy I never have to worry about Midol!  I took Nodoz before, which is something that wakes you up and keeps you up..good God almighty, I looked like a chihuahua with how much I was shaking...so glad I can laugh at that now. 
15 years ago 0 78 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Another one I noticed is non-prescription meds that have caffeine in them.  For example, Midol!  I would have never thought that birth control pills contribute to anxiety!  Oh dear!
15 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

What you are saying is exactly why the FDA are suggesting that certain drug trails include people who are unaware of being given a drug. How they will get the ethics right is complicated but they have recognised the powerful effect of the placebo and the flaws in trails were there are only placebo and drug groups. 

15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jhori, I would absolutely love to sit and have a conversation with you.  I think we would get on very well.  We seem very similar.  Perhaps it's just the inquesitive minds think alike?

Placebo is a funny thing.  

And it works both ways.  I remember recently reading an article about how up to 60% of people who were admitted to hospital believing that they were spiked were, more simply, just very drunk. 

Part of my job with the work I do with the health service is to examine reports of medications.  Medical studies use the 'real' drugs on some people and then placebo 'sugar pills' on the others.

Some people taking the placebo get better and say that it was due to the drug - despite the fact that they were never given anything.
Perhaps it's the case that some people just feel that they need something to go on and get better.  

Other people have adverse reactions to 'placebo' drugs and become ill.  People taking placebo blame the drug for making them feel certain ways.  From nausea to paranoia.  It is very interesting to think our minds can do that.

Rofl!  You crack me up, Dee.  Didn't even notice it was all dudes here...'cept Faryal 
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ya , i havnt really got anything to say in here . Just enjoyed reading this 'mans' thread lol
Learned a new term today, bayesian probability.  Definitely works with what I was saying.  Thanks, Gene!
15 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I have felt the same feeling as a benzo from a herbal medication with valarian extracts in it. I hardly ever use benzo's anyway but it really goes to show how powerful the mind is.

I kind of like your idea of associating a particular mantra with being relaxed. The mind is all about association. A bayesian probalistic network of learning...

Great to hear your doing better, Gene!

Regarding that article you read, I had an epiphany one day that related to that same article...hope you don't mind me babbling about it for a minute:  back when drugs were the "in" thing and more of my friends were out of their minds, so-to-speak...we used to play tricks on each other every now and again with exactly what you spoke on.  Give them a brownie laced with whatever to them, letting them believe it was only a brownie. 

In doing this, I came to realize that sometimes my friends (and myself), would continue normally without knowing the effects it was having on them.  Of course, the potency typically had a high effect on the outcome, but some of those with medium/high potency went without notice.  This lead me to the conclusion that the minds ability to get used to a particular feeling/sensation can affect the way one feels when taking said item.  So is it a placebo?  Or are those taking it just too used to the feeling?

This leads so many directions, I don't even want to go there right now.  But essentially the conclusion is that you are right in the fact that when you associate a feeling, you tend to experience it more.  So if you can associate this feeling to the benzo's, can you do the same for something else?
15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Genejockey,   That is interesting.   Good to know that you realise the risks associated with smoking. Do what's best for you and when you're ready to quit, there are a lot of helpful tools that can help you along the way.     Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: