Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Managing Anxiety

15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ah!  One of the downsides to novel writing, dunno how well it belongs in conversational forums :-O

Thanks Cornish, look forward to reading whatever you write!
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well that was a read and a half ,  forgot what the topic is now lol .Thank-you for sharing with us jhori82 . I must say i find you very interesting and refreshing .

Time is not on my side atm , children are wanting to be fed so will be back again .

CD
I don't mind if you write a lot (can't say I showed the same restraint - oops!)

Glad you didn't pass up your opportunity...wish I could same the same, but as the old saying goes:  what you can't change, change your attitude about it. 

I find it kind of funny, the greatest strengths feel like the worst weaknesses.  e.g.: whereas you found the problem in yourself, what could be considered a big weakness (especially to oneself), this sort of thing takes GREAT strength to overcome and fix.  I consider that more of a great strength.  Too many put so much worth in the almighty "me", when what I believe makes us, is those around us...whether friend or foe...each is a test to better ourselves. 

Yet again, this is just my opinion, and I encourage any who have input to please do so.  I can't know better until I'm taught it...right?
15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I started to write my anxiety story and it ended up being a novel, so I was going to post it in my blog instead so I tried to cut it... but it ended up disappearing! Roooar! 

Oh well. 
Basically what I wrote was, I was not a type A as a child, I went with the flow all my life and was very carefree thanks to my type A sister. But had many life changes such as getting married so young and husband leaving because of military to contribute to a bad trip on drugs. Took medication the first round and got a second round because I went off the medications and here I am today. The major thing that is getting me out right now is that I was about to loose my husband from my disorder. I was about to quit my marriage until I realized what I was doing. 
Aha, me and you are two different breeds of one of those things on the discovery channel.  And I'm an open book, if I don't want to tell you something, I'll let you know...but above all, I won't take it personally if someone asks a question.

I've also always been anxious to a very small degree, but was always forced into facing it and always came out on top (Japanese dad forced me to do it, Irish mother always made me feel great about it).  Youngest child, not an over-achiever but when I found something I loved I could be mistaken for one, etc. etc...have slight OCD, but my anxiety seems to have overridden this...basically I kept my stuff real clean.

Did the whole drug thing around 19-20, hung out with several asian mafia's because they were so frikken cool.  Never had a problem getting along with anyone.  Actually I prided myself on being able to understand and get along with any and everyone, and always have a way to calm them and make them all smile.  (Smiles have always been the food for my soul - Irish thing me likes to think).  Everything kinda broke down at the end of college.  Pinnacle of the successful side of my life, passing with high honors, the head of the school took a personal interest in me because of my final presentation performance, and gave me a personal introduction with a leader in computer security...blah-ditty-blah.

Anyways, the anxiety was brought full force around this time because of a regret.  A girl I liked, who I thought was into me (she gave the "looks", gave me the right vibe), but I never took that chance to find out.  Thus, I closed down, and started thinking about it too much, which lead to my current thought pattern.  From this, I became the anti-thesis of what I was.  Couldn't talk to anyone, couldn't help anyone, hell...I couldn't help mySELF!  Funny thing is, everything started changing with a girl I met this year.  We aren't going out, I screwed my chances with her, but we still talk.  The main thing is she got me out doing something I enjoyed waaaay to much.  Snowboarding.  I was like a little kid on Christmas morning, who knew getting beat up by iced snow could be so much fun?  I couldn't be more terrible at something, but it didn't matter. 

Ever since, I've found I'm happier and less anxious when I let go.  When I do things I love from time to time.  When I have my own opinion, even if it faces the challenge of everyone around me.  I'm becoming me again, little by little, step by step, chance by chance.  And I'm seeing a counselor, thus accepting I can't do it on my own anymore.  Which isn't a bad thing, it means I'm opening up again.

Geez, you could call me Stephen King with how much I wrote, scary huh?

I guess right now, I'm coming to terms with what you summed up in your last paragraph:  I'm accepting me for whatever that is.  With one addition:  dagnabit, next time I see a girl I feel that special something for, I'm going for it.  Win or lose, sometimes competing alone is all one needs.
15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey

I think I've always been anxious...typical type A personality..eldest child..over achiever... blah blah blah.  I also remember some bizarre checking rituals I did as a kid when I couldn't sleep..funny though noone every caught on ... Those were the 70's though and can I blame them.. They were still in their own "haze"... lol...down in the rumpus room...

That being said I am almost 35... and my anxiety really went up and over the top after I tried X at a concert ... I was 19 ... It forever changed my life.  I quite college, moved back home... drank too much... blah blah blah.. but again... my parents really just though I was going through "young adult" crap... then I got a great job, got married..had a baby... lived the life of perfection and hid all my attacks and stuff inside... I was losing it or so I thought ..... and then 2 years after my first baby... I felt that hopeless feeling and have been on a different journey ever since... 99% of my life is pretty amazing... After my second child I had a relapse and the obsessions were super bad but again I trooped on.. played with my meds a bit... was patient with myself and again feel pretty amazing.

I will always be me.. and with that comes a bit of the high strung over achiever BUT I've grown a lot from battling a lot of this crap...and I think it has contributed to me being a great mom and wife..plus just an all around amazing person... ha ha... but really I'm pretty happy with myself on the most part...

Ok.. enough about me... What's your story if you don't mind me asking?

Dazed
You both talk like your using my mouth!  I relate to both of your stories in the same way a shadow relates to the form it's shadowing.

I hope you don't mind if I add to this Sylvie, but how long have you all been dealing with your demons, and what made you change suit, so-to-speak.
15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi

I think the line is very fine between the two and often they can blur together.  I am fortunate in that I really only battle anxiety and ocd.. (if you can call that lucky :-)  but I do remember waking up one day and having the sense of no longer being able to cope and not wanting to go on....  This was the day I went to the doctors and finally began taking medication.  I NEVER want to feel like I did that day... It terrified me to even think like that.  I have always been a fighter and for that brief moment I no longer felt I could fight...

Looking back I think it was sheer exhaustion from trying to lead a "double life".. Hiding what was really happening to me from the outside world.. probably because I too didn't understand it nor could I control it.

G'nite.

DM

15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I became depressed after I had anxiety disorder. I was angry at myself for not being able to do the things I used to be able to do and I also felt guilty for being such a burden to everyone and wondered how much better it would be if I were gone. But thanks to all the support I had, I never gave up and I'm glad I didn't... because I am starting to see that I do make a positive impression just being here. But anyways, yes, depression followed my anxiety. And like what Joe says, it's all a learning process.
I definitely feel both.  Sometimes simultaneously, sometimes like the cars in the street, one after the other.  I used to have a lot of trouble managing, still do to a degree.  I think my willingness to take it on makes both conditions more manageable though. 

It's all a learning process, but every teacher starts off as a student!

Reading this thread: