Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Getting by 2

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Weather is much like Ontario here except the snow is almost all gone except in the mountains. Getting rain and some snow flurries but it melts right away. I have seen some mosquitoes that I hope freeze at night.

Snap dragons were my little English Grandmothers favourite flower. They grew by her kitchen door.

I'm not diabetic so I can have carbohydrates. I have something with each Tryptophan food. Toast and eggs, Sausage and sauerkraut, with fruit or a piece of bread or cake. Oatmeal or oat cereal with milk and a banana. The carbohydrate doesn't have to be a lot. Apple and peanut butter is a good combination. Peanuts have Tryptophan. It isn't hard to do.
Lasagne, casseroles, shepherds pie. Portion size is more important to me.

Davit
9 years ago 0 162 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Snap Dragons are wonderful flowers.

Interesting info about Type II Diabetes.  I'm borderline and my doctor put me on Metformin almost 2 years ago.  Since then I've lost 75 lbs and, at my next physical, am going to bring up the possibility of coming off Metformin.  

A mix of rain and snow here in southern Ontario.  I much prefer the cooler but dry and sunny weather to this wet and warmer weather.  I don't like the "in between" melting of the snow.  It's very dirty.
9 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love snap dragons Davit. My Grandfather and I grew them together when I was a kid. Now those are happy memories. Thanks for bringing them to the surface my friend. Its 98 degrees on my covered patio so I am back in the house now cleaning fans and setting them up for the summer. As for diet and diabetes once you have weighted your serving of food and know what single serving looks like for the various food you eat on a regular basis you can forgo the food scale and eyeball it after that. Vegetables that are low in starch and glycemic index are pretty much eaten at free will without measuring because they are very low in carbs. A salad for instance probably only has 10 carbs max so you add lean protein and good fats like avocado to keep you satisfied. Protein and fats take longer to break down that sugar, starch and flour. So for instance if I want a little pick me up I will have a half a apple which is full of sugar but also has lots of fiber to counter the sugar I add a healthy protein/fat like peanut butter to the mix and use it like a spread on my apple. I get potatoes in very limited amounts and counter the starch in the potatoes with smart balance butter and some sour cream and chives on top. It's all about balancing out what you eat so that the sugar and starch do not break down to fast in your stomach and spike ones blood sugar. Adding the protein and good fats in small amounts does this. Of course this does take a lot of practice and there is a trial and error period involved.I started out checking my blood sugar before meals and 2 hours after meals to find out how different foods and combinations effect me. Everyone is different and unique so testing your blood sugar is really the only way to know how the food you eat effect you. I have been doing this for over a year now. It does take time to figure it all out. As for Karin the first thing she really will need to do is quit eating all the process junk food..This is a big no no for anyone that is diabetic or pre diabetic. The diabetic association has recipes on their site. My favorite is the vegetarian chile. Lots of beans,veges,and tomatoes in it. It is what we call a mixed meal. A perfect combo of protein, starch and veges being the good carbs an I add a little cheese on top to mine. So as you can see it can be done and it can be quite tastee. Of course a person will need a healthy snack about every 3 to 4 hours. Like the half a apple for instance with peanut butter or a little protein lake a turkey sausage stick or some cottage cheese if you can handle the sodium with a few cherries tomatoes. Or plane yougart with a little fresh fruit and walnuts mixed in. It's about eating balanced mixed meals and snacks..
That sounds really great Red.

Karin is borderline diabetic and her doctor thinks she can control it with diet. It is a very strict diet mostly vegetables and everything has to be weighed. Very few carbs. Very little of anything actually. 
I'm still tying to balance tryptophan containing foods and carbohydrates and feel better mentally. Going to see if bananas can get my potassium up so my muscles aren't so sore and weak. It was raining this morning so I decided to work indoors but it has stopped and now I want to go to the green house but won't. My petunias are very slow coming up. They always are but this time they seen especially slow. Good news is snap dragons are. Probably my favourite flower.

Davit
Today is starting out on a positive note. I got up early as usual and got a little bite to eat. I'm type 2 diabetic so balanced snacks are necessary if I want to keep my energy up. I have been playing with my meal plan a little lately and have started to add a few more carbs to my diet. I eat a high protein diet and add fats to all starchy carbs to keep my blood sugar in check. Anyway my energy levels were great this morning after eating so I headed out to the home depot with my partner to get bolts. The temps were still cool outside and inside the store I was protected from the blazing sun and it was not too crowded inside the store yet so I did a few laps around the big warehouse while my partner shopped for bolts. Now I am back at home and it is time for my mid morning snack. So more carbs, protein, and fat. Stir fried vegetables and a slice of pork bacon and that's that..Now I am ready to face the day with gusto again...Red:)
The temps are going to be in the 90's again around my place so I guess I will be hanging out inside the house with the a/c running for the next week or so. Which is just fine with me. I really like being here at home anyway but will go out for supplies or what ever when I need or want to..I no longer make myself go out just for the sake of going out....Red:)
Today was a tough day. Some of my blood test results are low, some high. Potassium is low and giving me sore muscles so work is difficult. Still I managed to till and spread peat moss in my little green house. One more tilling and it is done and they will sit till it is time to plant them. It is snowing in the mountains and supposed to be raining in the valley. Going to be 10C, 50F for the next week with rain and not freezing at night. Hardly any snow left. Plenty in the mountains. This new snow will cover where the avalanche killed the two sledders this weekend. The mountains here draw people to their death like lemmings to the sea. A few die every year. All for the thrill, for the anxiety that we fight to get rid of. For some of them the mountain gives the thrill but takes it away permanently. 
Geese are in the back yard tonight. Jumpy birds constantly on alert. 

Davit
Hugs, my life has been one crazy kite ride for sure with many bumps in the road. I think that's how life is for your average person and is pretty normal. It can be happy, sad, peaceful, exciting, satisfying and even lonely and scary at times. Live is full of many different types of experiences especially if one lives as long as we have. It's all just part of loving and living my friend....Red:)
Hi Davit..It's good to see you are keeping busy too..It sure does help doesn't it. Thanks for the atta boys as always. You keep on keeping on too with growing your organic garden my Friend.. Red:)
9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red, A woman described her life as a "crazy quilt", and I think my life has been that way too, as well as mom's. But I loved my mom.

Reading this thread: