Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

A little victory

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ah Jimmy

This is one of the little setbacks every one talks about. Just ride it out and don't let it bother you too much. You can't have set backs unless you have gains to set back from. There is going to be some fear and deppression after all this is something new and different you are trying. You may not see the gains but we do. Coast a while and then go at it again, This is perfectly OK. Just don't give up. It's tough but it is worth it.

Davit.

PS. I was worried this might happen, I see it with others that try too hard and I have been a little pushy. Just come back to us when you feel better.
14 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red,

I don't see the progress to be honest. I'm feeling very depressed right now, so rewarding myself for that seems to be impossible for me at the moment.

Jimmy
14 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jimmy,

This is great progress.  You made it through two face to face meeting with different people and were also able to sit in a hospital and wait.  This would be very hard for me to do in one day.   You should be very proud of yourself and reward yourself in some way.   How do you think you like to reward yourself for this achievement? 

Red
I see your point now Davit. It is hard, because I still feel the agoraphobic feeling. I'll keep fighting though. Thanks again guys

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy. 

I bet no one else did either. It is such a little thing. By starting off a sentence with "well" you convey the feeling that you are not happy.  Now I notice you use the word a lot so you may not mean it that way but it reads that way. Try reading the sentence without it and it sounds positive. If you don't see the use of the word "well" to start a sentence as negative then use it and ignore me. I am so glad you have a good therapist. I still see mine even though I probably don't need to because I feel so good after. The hardest thing will be holding on to your gains because anxiety will try to sneak back in. This is part of the reason it takes so long. You have to keep reinforcing each gain. The more gains the more reinforcing. Don't worry though, in a while you will do it subconscious. Just like starting off a positive sentence with a negative word.

I think you are doing great for a guy with only 15 posts.
Davit.
I don't see it Davit, what is it?  Well what I learned so far is that my thoughts aren't valid. Nothing has happened yet that I have feared, so it most likely won't. The therapist was really nice and I feel like she is going to help me learn a lot to cope. I still have a ways to go, but I will keep on fighting. Thanks guys!

Jimmy
Jimmy

Yes you will. If you compare this to your earlier posts you will see the progression. You almost got it all positive.

There is one negative word, can you spot it?

Wishing you well.
Davit.
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great work Jimmy!

What did you gain from this experience? Is there any learning you can share with the group?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hey

Well I went to my therapist today and talked to her for about an hour, followed by seeing my doctor. Then waited about an hour and a half at the hospital waiting for my mother. I was nervous, but I made it. Therapist gave me some goals to do this week, and I just got back from hanging with my friend like she said for me to do. Still feel anxious doing it, but it will get better with time. 

Jimmy

Reading this thread: