Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Ideas about making friends

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi LT,

I find it challenging to find something, but realized it doesn't matter at the beginning, until i can bear the uneasiness of just being around others, and work out the logistics of travel.  With practise, I've found that going is easy, and I can become more choosy about the the actual content, although I've taken so many wonderful courses which were practical.

Obstacles I struggle with are perfectionism and procrastination, but limited time is another, with caregiving.  Mom was sick this week, so there was no "me" time.

If I had time, I'd increase the engagement from a lecture to something daring like dance.  I don't know what state of mind I was in when I was younger and actually took ballroom and latin dance, but I assume hormones, not my brain, were making the decisions.  A debate club would be great, but I've never thought I could handle the emotion.

Keep us posted so we can support each other.  I'm leaning towards a renovation course, or a course on naturopathy since I have a roof leak and a health plan where I've never used naturapathy, but I'll have to choose only one, since time is limited.

Desire makes things so rewarding though.  I'd been wishing to clean the bathroom floor for a year with vinegar and water, according to the tile installer, and finally got my chance, as messy as it was yesterday.  Isn't it funny how something so menial can be rewarding?
11 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Meghan and Ashley,

Those are good ideas. I find that when I go to "one off" events, like a talk at a bookstore or something, unless the other person is quite affable and outgoing themselves, the conversation at that event doesn't translate into ever seeing each other again. Regular classes where we see each other routinely probably will work better.

11 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi LovesTrees

I agree with Ashley. This is really exciting news for you. Making new friends has always been tough for me, but there are some things I can suggest. I'm not sure of your location or age so some of them may not be good for you, but i'll try.

Where I live my local library offers a lot of fun little classes for free. They are a great place to meet friends.  They do anything from cooking classes, to yoga to learning computer skills. They also offer a book club, and I'm really into reading so I may join that one eventually.  Maybe you can see if there is anything like this available in your area?

Again I'm not sure about where you live, but I also met some really nice people at my local pool. My hubby meets many friends at the YMCA/gym. Also some websites where people join for a common interest can end up a good place to meet people. For example I joined a website for weightloss and found a group of ladies that I now go walking with in real life. There are lots of ways to get out there and meet people now that you actually want to do it. Best of luck! :D
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Loves trees,

This is a great topic. Congratulations on being in a place in your life where you want to let more people in! This is something to be celebrated.  

Making new friendships can be exciting and challenging. Pushing yourself to get out there is important. Every week try to create one goal to put yourself out there to the possibility of meeting new people. What can your goal be this week.

One member here tried creating her very own social group. Others go to classes and meet ups. What do you think would appeal to you. 

Members, let's brain storm some ideas with Loves trees! 

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone,

I have worked really hard the last few years to work on anxiety, panic and negative core beliefs. 

I am at a point and place in my life now where I want to nurture friendships and have friends to talk with, have fun with and enjoy life with. 

Has anyone else been through a process of making new friendships after going through the program and building self esteem and positive core beliefs? 

Ideas?

Reading this thread: