Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Wasted energy through worry

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been spending hours daily, for days, researching getting a good humidifier.  A physician suggesting using a basin of water near a radiator, and the humdity rose from 32 to 33 to my surprise, in 30 minutes!

I suppose I've wasted my energy again, worrying about finding the perfect product, when all I need to do is use a container of water

The good news is that I'll have a replacement one for mom, since her humidifier is older.  And I feel so much more confident with researching the internet for reputable information

I was even creative, using my old sleep machine(CPAP) one night, but it was too noisy
Hi Ashley,
If I hadn't read that article, I might have stained the wood, doing a poor job, since in cold weather the stain doesn't get absorbed.  Then I would have to remove the stain, and leave it, or remove and reapply it properly in spring.

Now I can just leave it until spring, without feeling discouraged that I'd forgotten something from my "to do" list.  In fact, I don't have to do it at all, since staining requires redoing the job every 5 years.  Wood is naturally resistant, depending what you have, so I'm only out a bucket of stain, and a brush, and a lot of obsessing until spring!

And Davit gave me a good reminder about nails and wood use for a future project.  Who would have known that nails can cause rot?

Davit, regarding the humidifier, I also was about to snap one up at a big box store, but realized  we have moderately hard water.  That means I'd have to buy a lot of distilled water.  The alternative is to buy a humidifier which softens the water itself, and it would save buying distilled water and the health risks of breathing in the residue from a humidifier, and dusting.

Life has it's daily challenges
11 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

How was anxiety at play here?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

Unless you use very clean water a humidifier can leave particles in the air especially if it is not the steam type.

Poplar which rots very fast can last a century if kept out of the weather. That is why it is used in furniture where it won't be seen. (cheap and strong) There are poplar log houses here going on 70 or more years.

One other caution. Wood has to breath. Beware of sealing wood so that moisture that gets in can't get out.
I think spring is soon enough.

Oh one other thing. If you don't use galvanized nails the wood will rot around them due to the attraction of metal to water which gets worse as they rust.

Davit.
I was concerned today as I felt dried up,since I didn't choose a humidifier.  Then I woke up researching about buying one.

What was wasteful though, was my desire to stain some wood that we'd had installed as a  fence and stairs with ballisters and handrails.  With temperatures near zero, it's not ideal, but I thought I'd test a piece of wood, out of the way.

I then picked up a reference manual on home maintenance, and to my surprise, it stated that wood without a finish, may last a century or more, if it's protected from the elements when outside, from roofing, siding.  Paint and stain preserve an "appearance"!

So I wasted some time worry, until the spring....

Reading this thread: