Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Reframing a thought is like reframing a picture

12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great thoughts everyone!

Great objectives and progressive thinking!

Thanks for sharing everyone!

Josie, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny,
Actually this is interesting, and takes my mind off of myself and worries for a while, just llike anything would, if I could remember in the throes of a "worry windstorm" which can take over anybodys space or precious time.

When you're aligning this pigeon spikes, you're supposed to place them strategically, so the pigeons can't land on a window sill.  I imagined myself trying to live on a window sill, and thought what they valued?  Then I noticed how much the windows needed caulking, so that would explain the attraction to my windows - warm air versus the outside elements!

Then I started thinking about aviation.  These critters need to have a lot of faith to just jump in the air in a narrow space between houses to take flight.  They have to fall before ascending.  And boy can they fly!

If it seems I'm detracting from CBT, I'm not, by the way. 

Immersing oneself in something can take you away from a lot of unpleasant, unproductive behaviour. 

Sunny - take care of Davit

12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi hugs:  still got the pigeon problem? phooey. 
 I can relate to your post this a.m.  what to do with the emotions when they do come?  mostly it's that we don't understand them.  i bottled my emotions up for so many yrs. now am allowing them and looking at them more closely.  hard work sometimes, but it'll get done.  when i don't understand, need to take some time out, sort things out and try and look at them with a fresh mind.  funny thing is, might still get it all wrong.  emotions can be confusing, so i figure it's okay to take the time i need.  no knee-jerk reactions is what i am looking for.

Sunny
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Because I'm one of "those" who think in pictures, I finally saw "reframing" differently today after dealing with a problem(or opportunity).

I couldn't solve the issue of pigeons roosting on my window sill causing me sleepless mornings, so I decided to see the tweaking of pigeon spikes on window sills(upward plastic(for animal activists) sticks) as an experiment instead of a win-lose situation, thereby seeing it more objectively rather than as black & white.

I remembered an astronaut, who had trouble dealing with her emotions, admit to struggling with tears of joy, while accepting an award.  Her reflex was to imagine, while she was on  a stage accepting an award, that she was in space floating again, with the ability to flip our heads back, so the tears would jump off her face.

I think that astronaut had trouble accepting her emotions, since her career required so much self-discipline?

In CBT, with so much focus on tweaking thoughts, I wonder if members "accept" their emotions?

Reading this thread: