Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Unwanted Thought--how to get passed it

9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

Well, those are very scary thoughts indeed. I am sorry that you have been worrying about these thoughts, that must be very nerve wrecking.

Health related worries can be common for individuals who struggle with anxiety. These thoughts can be challenged! You will get to this in session three but the following questions will help you challenge these thoughts:

10 Questions that Help Fight Anxious Thoughts
1.   Is it "true"?
2.   How do I know it’s true?
3.   Is the anxious thought 100% true? (Something less than 100% true is not true)
4.   What's the evidence for it being true?
5.   What's the evidence against it being true?
6.   Has it ever happened before?
7.   What's different now?
8.   How bad would it really be?
9.   What's the worst thing that could happen?
10. If the worst thing happened, how bad would it really be?

Take your time answering these questions honestly. 

As you continue through the program you will be asked to complete homework. This homework will help you to challenge your thoughts and systematically change your thinking. Learning new thought patterns takes time and practice. Your thought eventually will go away but it will take practice. 

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for helping David.
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Read the other post first.
Continuing on the subject of changing thought patterns. You have to learn to think positive and you do this by catching yourself every time you think something negative and changing it. Back to a reason to besides the fact you want to. Things like the ten questions give you more reasons to. Challenge every unwanted thought so memory has to find a different solution because remember that solution is going back to memory as an update. 
So you want a positive personality, and an assertive attitude so you don't give in to the unwanted thoughts, but more important is belief, you have to believe that the positive thought is the right one and you have to believe you can do this. And you can.
Positive breeds positive and negative breeds negative through storage in memory.
CBT is the hardest simple thing you will ever do. Anyone who has done this will tell you it is so. They will also tell you that it is cumulative. It gets easier with use, to the point that it to becomes subconscious because conscious thought on this is not necessary. It no longer needs direction because it has become a priority solution in memory. And since it is also the relevant solution thought speeds up and there is little chance or reason to go looking for the unwanted thought.
The memory works on relevant not right or wrong so either can be relevant. It is up to you to make the right thought the relevant one.
Intelligence is the ability to look at all possibilities and pick out the most likely one to be right. Imagination is the ability to look at associated memories and see which ones might fit. Panic is the ability to look at negative thought to see if any might fit the situation. Panic is a survival skill, all survival skills are negative. Negative thoughts are longer lasting than positives because they are necessary. Positives are for pleasure and not survival so unless you keep thinking on them they get lost, buried in fact by things more important like negatives that keep us from getting run over or falling down stairs. Negative thought is concern and necessary. Repetitive negative thought becomes worry and annoying when it keeps cycling back through memory. Worry also takes space that more important things need. Worry actually interferes with solutions and remembering things because it buries these more important things. Worry enough and you will get little accomplished.
The way to get rid of an unwanted song in your head is to play something different. Getting rid of unwanted thoughts is similar. 

Davit
I'm not sure if this is going to make sense but here goes. First off when we are born our brains are almost empty. We fill them up with learned experiences. This is the side of the brain that doesn't control breathing etc. We learn by observation and experience and all these things go into memory so the next time we want to do something we know how. We try what we see. We see people standing, we try to stand. We try to walk and we fall down because we don't know how, but once we do we never forget how because it is in memory now just as we know that falling down hurts so that can't be part of walking. It becomes automatic and we never consider that we are actually using memory to walk because the brain is very fast and it also does things we don't need to think about subconscious. Thinking about them kicks in automatic if we are on say slippery ground. If you don't give it direction memory will tell you to walk as you normally would. All subconscious. Till you slip, then it becomes conscious. Makes sense. Okay here is where the hard part comes in. Because conscious thought is slow most people find it hard that subconscious thought can be at the speed of light. Faster than this computer in fact. Every thought and action has to pass through memory for direction. But as it does it also has to pick the best choice of a number of options related to the situation. Based on past experience. If the choice is relevant then it feeds it back to memory to update it and make it the priority choice next time that decision has to be made. Remember that it is doing this very fast. (and a cat can do this even faster, a cat has very fast reflexes, but a cat also has limited need for intelligence so it has fewer choices in its memory) Now if you can understand this process where every thing passes through memory for direction before an action and that, that action cycles back to memory and back to the original thought to direct it to the next thought in that line. (left foot right foot left foot, walking using memory to tell us how without actually thinking about it) Now if you have an unwanted thought and you don't actually change it between the point where memory makes a decision and that decision becomes an action then it will recycle back to memory as a relevant update. On a graph this is drawn as a triangle with three points, thought, decision and action all interconnected and affecting each other. 
Okay, that is how it works. How to change it? Repetition of a change so the change goes to memory for an update to be used for future reference. In effect burying the unwanted thought. The unwanted thought is still in memory because nothing can be deleted from memory but it can be buried so far it isn't accessible any more. Basically every time you have an unwanted thought you change it to a wanted one. Speaking it out loud and writing it down reinforce it and don't laugh but singing the wanted thought and making it a mantra speed up the process. It takes time because we tend to go back looking for the unwanted thought to see if it is still there. Bringing it to the front in memory again. This is CBT in the form of changing thought patterns from negative to positive. You have to have a reason to change the thought though or it won't change. You have a reason or you wouldn't want to change them. Accepting the reason is right is the hard part.

Davit
9 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I guess my next question is when you have these unwanted thoughts that pop into your head and you accept & think to yourself that they are unwanted thoughts-- how do you get them to leave? I mean sometimes these thoughts keep repeating in my mind & I feel like the thought is actually going to make itself happen so how do you get it to end? I know not to ignore it. I guess I'll learn about this further into the program right? 
9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome L&L, I've arrived at a point where I see unwanted thoughts like mosquitoes, and just swat at the odd one, without be distracted with the task at hand. I think I've seen comedy skits where something small drives someone off the deep end, and I've been that person in the past. Keep persevering and we'll support you. Maybe some outside professional help can guide you, since often there's a stress we're not aware of.
Actually it is your memory talking. There is direct memory which is directly related to the trigger or situation and associated memory which is what you use when there is no clear answer to the trigger or situation. Both are governed by attitude and mood. And because of this they can be changed so that even if they still happen your thoughts on them will be different. Harmless thoughts.

Davit.
9 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As I was getting up this morning the thought, "You are going to die tonight" popped into my head.  I wasn't thinking about death, but I have had anxious thoughts before about, "What if my head explodes?  What if I have an aneurysm, etc. what if questions.  I'm now completing freaked out about this thought & I told my husband who said it was just my subconscience talking because I've had previous what if thoughts.  He told me I was fine.  

Has anyone else experienced this & how have you coped?  I'm still in session 1 of the Panic Program.  I'm really trying to get passed my anxious thoughts, but sometimes they are just out of control.

Thanks!

Reading this thread: