Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Worrying is like chewing

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

I was asking and thank you for your perception. I am confident and getting more so every day. Others would agree with you that I am rough around the edges. There has been little need to be refined in my life till now. It still surprises me how many people like me. It could be because I like me. I didn't always.

Davit
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,
I get the feeling you're confidant, and can be rough around the edges.  But you seem personable.  I'm not sure if you were asking or thinking out loud.
Hi Ashley,
I've tried to limit worry by building lists with reasons, but sometimes that overcomplicates my life.  Thought records helped.  Taking tai chi is giving me some peace, but I find I can't  follow, although I'm told this is common with beginners.
10 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

Excessively worrying can become quite toxic to individuals and within relationships. What's important is that you recognize this might be a problem for you - the first and most important step to changing is recognizing there is a problem. So good work in being honest with yourself! It certainly isn't easy.

How have you tried to limite your worrying in the past? Can you think of any times when you will able to manage worry better? If so, what was different then? Also, be sure to check out the auxillary session on Worry. There are some great techniques there that could be helpful.

Ashley, Health Educator
I wonder what I project and of course I wonder if I would get an honest answer. I'm tough, I can take it. Maybe I have things I need to work on too. Like being less abrupt. If I need to fix things it would be best to do them before my next visitor.

Davit
Hi Davit,
I just started the thread since I thought I might arise some interest, and I had some insight, as I read "Why Not - 15 reasons to live".  It's about 15 areas of a man's life and how he searches for meaning daily.  His most simple advice is to plan something for the next day.

Most of what you say seems true.
Hugs

Are you fishing here? Just so you can find out if you are right without asking?

I'm going to tell you what I see on the condition you accept that because this is the internet I have limited perspective. We have never gone for coffee so I could draw out the real hugs into the day light. All I can see is what you give us here.

I see a person who picks up his feelings from his surroundings. 
I see a person negative enough to pick out the negative in them as important. (they are not other than that they are there)
I see a person who wants to change but doesn't know how. (going round in circles looking for the answer always picking it out from the past) (your job is still influencing you)
I see a chronic worrier. Strongly using core beliefs as solutions and controls. 
I see a person who wants to do it his way but is conditioned to give in to others. (it shows in your gardening)
I see a person so used to thinking others are right that he doesn't know when they are wrong and he is right anymore.
I see a person tugged between pleasing others and trying to please himself. (doing things alone so they can't take over) (walks, treadmill, gym)
I see a person who can't start a relationship because he fears he is not normal or special enough. 
I see a person who subconsciously repeats things he is either proud of or ashamed of. (I don't know which it is.)
I see a good person trying hard to be one.
I see a frustrated person who takes life too serious. 

This is what you project to me, you might be none of them in reality. I am also some of these things too.

Davit
I find I go around in circles.  Does anyone find that worrying is like chewing the same piece of gum, beyond it's tastefulness?

And I think it irritates others.  I met a doc, who I needed some help from, and I think he gave me a rational solution to footwear, but the poor guy just gave up on me, I think.

No wonder I feel dizzy!  And no wonder everyone avoids me!

Reading this thread: