Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

In and Out of the Panic Cycle

12 years ago 0 542 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

I hope you are feeling better. I wanted to tell you what I do when I get an infected ear or a earache, my old boss told me about it and it clears it up overnight, better than an antibotic. Take a half capful of perxoide and pour it in you're ear then lay down and let it ""fizzle" it will fell fuzzy and warm and soothing, it will not hurt, believe me I hate pain and I do this all the time, wait for about 10 minutes then turn over and let if drain out of youre ear for about 5 minutes or so, its like a miracle or something, I did this for my son for years, and believe me I was very careful with him, it drains the infection out and its warm and soothing, give it a try, just a capful or less, it works for me and my son, I have even gargled with it, but NEVER sallow it. It really works, I hope you are better hugs.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,
Relax'n & reframing are my fav's...maybe i could carry around a paper bag...there's nothing like "natural" medicine
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

A key to managing anxiety is recognizing when it is the anxiety or you taking control of your thoughts.  You are not your anxiety. Say it outloud: I am not my anxiety!

When you feel anxiety taking control of your thoughts then it is time to start challenging these thoughts - using the ten questions, relaxation techniques, reframing, etc.  With this in mind when you started to feel anxious about the allergy symptoms what could you have done instead of looking up epidemic symptoms and trying to book hotel rooms?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ashley,
I wish I could respond in an appropriate manner...but it's hard to tell what's "normal" when I emotions get stirred.  The visual analogy is me getting caught up in a tornando, and trying to find the "eye" of the storm.  That means getting grounded or relaxed. 

I know I have to resume relaxation, and missed interacting with people this weekend, since I was unwell.  Connection with people helps by providing emotional shock absorbers.  It's tricky when symptoms come suddenly, and I let go of tried and true routines, like the relaxation.

After being depleted today, I lost my temper with my mom, since I have lost so much ground.  It seems I have to start over again, so often, since I just barely got over a neck and back ache.
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

Thanks for posting.

I noticed when you were talking about your symptoms you seem to discuss them as something outside of yourself; for example, you said, "I noticed I..." Remember that you can have control over your anxiety and you do have a choice on how you want to respond to your anxious symptoms. It is certainly not easy and it takes practice but you do have a choice So, how would you have liked to respond?  How can you get there?

Ashley, Health Educator
My dust allergy symptoms, which are similar to the flu, grounded me yesterday.  I went to a walk-in clinic, since I had concerns about my ear being infected. 

I decided not to go to a course I was anxious about that evening.

My fears were so exagerated that I noticed the physician left me for last, and only spent two minutes with me.   I think she's aware of how I get caught in the panic cycle.

When I went home, I noticed that I was checking symptoms of epidemics online, and trying to book a hotel room out of the home, so my parent wouldn't get ill.  I even shopped for groceries online, for next week, thinking the worst. 

Ironically, I decided to declutter(wearing a dust mask), and as my symptoms subsided, I became better, and slept more soundly.   

There's a book that was written about pop pschology called "in and out of the garbage pail" in the 70's, and that's the way I feel with the "panic cycle" and physical symptoms getting out of control.

Can anybody share their personal experience getting "in and out"?

Reading this thread: