Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Length of panic attacks

12 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

When I have panic attacks now they last maybe 1-5 minutes long (the actual attack). In the past they were at 10 minutes long but since I have done some CBT they are somewhat shorter as I try to let it happen and not fight it which is always harder in reality than theory. 

:)

Matt
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had to think on this. Me and sunny talked about it last night. She never knew how bad I had been. I will talk to my therapist because I do not fit that pattern. 
In me panic peaked almost instantly at night and stayed elevated and flat till it let go. When it let go it was gone. Daytime was different. Heightened anxiety and borderline panic could be there all day only staying away because I made it stay away. Some people may think this is a panic attack but it isn't even close. Pulse may go up but in a real panic attack mine doubles to 140 or more. Blood pressure goes up also. Temperature fluctuates up and down. Freezing one minute, too hot the next. 
I would hate to have some one think they have something more than a panic disorder because the terror lasts longer than book normal. To me a ten or twenty minute panic attack would only be a night mare to be sneezed at. I wouldn't even have sought out help. And certainly not taken Ativan for it. I think I'm stronger than that. Sunny asked if the length and strength of my panic attacks could have been because of the Ativan. They might well be since Ativan does change the way information is treated.

By the way I could not find where the Doc discusses the length of panic attacks. 

I wonder how many people are staying away because they think their panic is worse than any one else's and can't be treated. It took me years but I am very good now. I had a panic attack last night but it was minor and self induced looking in my memory at old panic attacks. Negative really does breed negative. We do have the potential for more panic attacks if we go looking for them. I don't have them buried deep enough, only time can help that. Time and positive thinking and attitude. 

So this brings to mind, What do people think panic attacks are? Where do they draw the line between normal panic (a few minutes time) and a full blown debilitating panic attack? Not that it matters other than to me. CBT will handle both, one just takes longer.

I've seen three Psychiatrists and a hand full of lessors with the same diagnosis. Just a panic disorder with some social anxiety thrown in. No GAD or OCD and no depression. Some sadness over the state of my life but nothing not normal. Even at my worst there was no depression or worry. Just a steady longing to understand this condition and fix it. Some acceptance also that it would take time. A lot of time. Far more than twelve week. 

So if I am the exception then lucky are those that are not and may they never get that bad. 
Even in the psych ward I never met any one as bad as me. 

Davit.

12 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Tompk001,

To my understanding Panic Attacks normally peak at around 10 minutes and then symptoms may take a few minutes or more to dissipate. But I think this is an average and length could very.  You might want to check out the answer to the Ask the Expert about Long Panic Attacks, I think you will find it informative.

How long do your panic attacks last?
Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Matt

At their worst they lasted three hours. That is three hours of terror. I know they are only supposed to last minutes but that is a crock. The usual time was about an hour. Time loss also occurred so that after, they seemed less but the clock doesn't lie. I did not wait for the heart rate to go down on it's own but brought it down with a Beta blocker. I'm 61. An elevated pulse for that long wouldn't kill me but is not good. This is after stopping Ativan and doing CBT instead. At there worst after four years of Ativan all it did was make them tolerable. 

Davit
12 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All,

I hope that you are doing well. I am curious..how long does your panic attack last? Not the buildup of anxiety which may be GAD (for me that could be a few hours) but the actual adrenaline rush of the panic? What has been your experience? Thanks for sharing with me, :)

Matt

Reading this thread: