Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

The job is now contributing to anxiety

13 years ago 0 195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I have been exercising since age 14. That's 30 years. In high school I wrestled and ran track. I am really into weight lifting and bodybuilding. I also have been an avid fan of professional wrestling since about age 13.
I was certified as a fitness trainer in 2008.
Then there's my experience in natural and organic foods and supplements. My parents owned a health food store for 16 years.

That about says it all.
13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
David,
Thanks for replying.  I was interested  in the remark "keeps your body guessing", and what than means for lay people?  I've heard of the "wisdom of the body" and I believe there is scientific evidence that supports suggestions that muscles "remember" positions, etc.
With your going into a field of physical therapy, and by your username it sounds like you have personal experience or interest in the body, can you comment?
Actually, I don't go to yoga classes. We have a gym in our house, and we have many yoga DVD's. I did go to classes a while back when I lived near the beach.
Maybe I will go to classes, again someday. As long as we keep mixing the DVD's up, it keeps the body guessing. Besides, classes are expensive :-)

David,

Welcome. Between you me and your yoga mat, it’s not the job, but your "interpretation" of what the job status means to you that impacts you.  Making more options with another career is wise.

That’s probably really shallow for what a yoga dude hears during his classes....so all I can end with is

Namaste;) and good luck with the programme....
Thank you so much, everyone.

Funny thing is, after I made that post, the next day I made 2 sales. LOL I could not believe it.
I was never able to make it to the school councelor, but will next week. One day I looked for the office on the way home, but the rain was so bad and the rods were worse, so I came home instead. It rained nearly all week here in central Florida.
I just need to get an update on which classes I need to start with. I did not fair to well on the math entrance test, so I know I need help there.

By the way, the 2 sales I made count toward this month's sales blitz, which happens every April. That means I do not have to work next weekend. Whatever sales I make between now and next weekend, are just gravy.

Just settling in for this weekend. I know it's 10:12 pm, but I feel like doing my shoulder workout. Gonna decide soon.

Thanks, again, so much to everyone who chimed in. As has happened so many times on here when I vent on here, the next few days I usually feel better, :-)

David
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Wrestler:  I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were.  The extra work load - the selling aspect - is a sign of the times/economy, more pressure for everybody.  Sounds like the fitness field would be a good career for you.  You've been interested and practicing this for awhile.  Working towards a goal can be very exciting even if a lot of work.  I bet you'll breeze through since you have motivation and desire for the change.  All my best wishes to you.  Keep the faith and believe!

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Wrestler,

Am I to take it you are going to use taking classes as a means of tolerating your job till you can change. Sounds like a good plan. Having a goal is always a good focus. Knowing there is an out makes what you do more tolerable. If it were me I would be thinking of it as an escape rather than an extra work load. I commend you for your decision and wish you all the luck. 

Good to hear from you and as always we are here to support you in any way we can.

Here for you, 
Davit
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wrestler,

Good to hear from you again, but sorry it's related to a new stressful situation. Changing jobs/careers is a very stress-inducing move for anyone so your reaction is normal. Having work that is enjoyable and not too stressful in itself is an important thing in life as we spend so much time working. Good for you for realizing that! What steps are you going to take to minimize the negative impact of this big change? Do you have a plan? Yoga is certainly a good start!

Keep us posted and let us know how we can help.

Tiana, Health Educator
Wrestler,
I was going to say welcome, but you joined about when I did.  I've found few people are actually persevering after they join, from the posting I see, but that could be good or bad.  The people doing the data crunching really have a better grasp...

Your work sales data is probably not something you wish to be reminded of so I'll let you melt into yoga...Namaste

One and a half years since I changed jobs. That's how long it took for an atmosphere to be created which can now cause me discomfort, as far as panic and anxiety go.

I used to, very rarely, think negative thoughts about this job for any extended period of time. But now they are trying to make everyone a sales person, and that is the focus now. It's not how good you are doing the job that as far as the description goes, but how the sales are going. Sales are not going good. It's very uncomfortable to press a current customer for more money when they originally thought it was just an inpsection. Occasionally I will get a customer who is only too happy to open the checkbook. Occasionally... 

Basically, I work for a pest prevention company and I inspect do anual inspections with already established clients. One part of the job was to upsell these customers with either new or existing services. But now the task of selling is taking center stage because the company says so and because cancellations are coming in because of the fickle economy.

So, without going any further into the job description department, I used to really like this job because it was good money and the hours were good. But in addition to the selling, they also added a second Saturday, in which I work until about 1 or 2 pm.

These two factors are causing anxiety and a little panic.

I have decided that it's time to do what I was going to do at the time I started this job: Start taking classes toward working in physical therapy. I decided not to do so because I thought it would interere with the new job, and we really needed the steady income at the time. But I am not meant to be a termite inspector for the rest of my life.

OK, I feel like I have vented. Time for yogas :-)

Reading this thread: