Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Constant derealization

13 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had similar experiences on one of my medications and instead of changing the med that was causing it he increased one of my other meds. My instincts told me it was time to go to another psychiatrist
with more experience.  Turned out the way the first MD prescribed the med made the peak time of the med
dangerous for me and the symptoms carried thru the day.  He changed the way I took the med, and all those surreal feelings and physical symptoms dissappeared
and I became grounded and back into reality.
At first, I thought it was hypoglycemic attack, or a toxic reaction to something in my office. But as soon as I changed the way I had been taking it, I felt like me again.
13 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Attacus,

Your symptoms could be depersonalization but it may be another issue, possibly related to blood sugar?

In either case you need to see a doctor regarding these symptoms.  They obviously are affecting your quality of life.  If you can't get an appointment go to a walk-in clinic or possibly call a telephone service.  In Ontario we have TeleHealth where you get to speak with a nurse.

I wish I could offer you more advice but you need a doctor to properly diagnose the issue.

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been put on 20mg Prozep solution (liquid prozac) and take 5ml once a day at noon every day. I've been on it for just over a month now and the only symptom I first experienced was extremely disturbing dreams that woke me and made me panic, however that settled and I went back to the doctors a week ago to review my medication and she decided to keep me on it. However literally the day after my appointment I woke up and panicked straight away, I felt weak and shaky and had this terrible sense of dread and like I didn't know who I was or where I was. And now, ever since the 9th of November I've just felt spaced out and like I can't control my own body, my hands and legs don't feel like mine they feel weak and strange, like foreign objects, is this derealization? People I know and love seem alien to me and the world outside feels like a dream.
Every night I get woken up at around 4am feeling like my legs and arms are tingling and weak, especially in my little fingers they feel very numb and weird like they shouldn't be there. and I don't know who I am or why I'm alive and like the room is getting smaller, it's very unsettling and scary. I usually find myself shaking my legs (I think I may have restless leg syndrome) which slowly sends me off to sleep, and then I wake up again in the morning and feel anxious and panicky all over again as soon as I open my eyes. I seem to have to get as much sugar in my body as possible in the morning to stop myself feeling horribly jittery, I even find myself eating a teaspoon of sugar just because I have no appetite. I do the progressive muscle relaxation technique when I'm lying in bed before I go to sleep which seemed to help me stay asleep for a while previously but does nothing now.

I don't know what to do it's really scary and I feel very alone, I'm also constantly jittery and restless. I tried to go to the doctors but they had no appointments available this week. I need some kind of way to calm myself down or to realise that what I'm going through isn't me just going mad, I try watching TV to distract myself or doing something I enjoy and it doesn't always seem to work because there is always that feeling in the back of my mind. I'm also really worried because my family are coming to visit me this weekend and I'm extremely embarrassed that I might have a panic attack or feel derealization in their presence. I don't want to tell them not to come incase they think something is terribly wrong with me but I'm really not up to it right now.

I feel like I've gone insane. It's seriously starting to affect my life and every day has become a massive struggle to stop myself from thinking about the strange feelings in my head and doing even the slightest thing has become a massive task.
Is this a side effect of my medication even after a month? Who can I talk to about this since my doctor has no appointments? 

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Reading this thread: