Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

OCD ritual cycle

14 years ago 0 195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Some of the strategies I used long ago for this were to just do whatever I was going to do without worrying if something bad might happen if I did not do it. And nothing bad did ever happen if I did not do follow the ritual.

I tried that a bit today. I was following the line of thinking and then I said to myself, maybe In should think something good might happen instead, and it takes the pressure off a bit.

When I said long ago I meant early 1980's. That's when I used to just ignore what I was thinking and just did whatever it was I was going to do without thinking or I would do the opposite and ignore my silly urge to follow a pattern.

It was your suggestion about strategies that jogged my memory to think back to what I used to do to avoid being trapped in OCD.

So today, I did a bit of thinking something good might happen whatever I do. That way it puts a more positive thought into the equation instead of contant negative thoughts. Because the negative thoughts are really the root of the problem. If I continuously think something bad might happen if I don't do something a certain way, there's never a thought of something good. But now there is.

I hope this makes sense. :-)

On to the specific fears you asked about: The fears were things like losing my job, getting into an accident, becoming ill, some unknown bad news, etc.
Thanks
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

You mentioned that you were able to overcome counting cracks or things a certain amount of times as a child. What helped you overcome this then? Maybe some of the strategies you used then, could also be helpful now as an adult.

I know that CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) has been proved to be most significant for treating OCD habits. You could try applying this to your work. You mentioned that you like to check things when you are done since you are afraid that something bad will happen. What do you think will happen if you don't check your work? What is this fear specifically? If you can identify the fear, you can try to work using CBT techniques to change the thought process in itself.

As for the stuffy nose, I would wait to see if the sniffing goes away once your sinus infection is completely cleared.

Members, what have you found helpful when dealing with ritual habits?

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am in the middle of a cycle now where rituals/OCD habits are becomming annoying.

I am sure many of you know the little voice inside your head that says if you don't do something a certain way, something bad will happen. or, if you don't do something a certain way, something good won't happen. I really hate it.

It's not the deal where you don't want to step on cracks or have to count things a certain amount of times. I grew out of those years ago. The repetitiveness I have now is where if I am doing something during my job, if I don't do it better, or if I don't check something before I am done, I am afraid something bad will happen. It's very annoying.

I also had a serious sinus infection about 2 weeks ago and I have now developed a sniffing habit because my right nostril is still a bit clogged and my nose is on auto pilot to try and clear it.

Does anyone have similar experiences? I have had trouble like this in the past, but as an adult it can become a big waste of time.

Anyway, I just wanted to pose this question in hopes that it might help me release some of this.

Reading this thread: