Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

New guy

8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

I am glad you found us. Were you involved in any therapy while you were talking the medication? Medication and therapy have the highest rate of effectiveness and medication for anxiety is usually meant to be temporary until farther along in therapy. Either way, I am glad you are here. This program is based on cognitive behaviour therapy(CBT) principles. CBT is the gold standard treatment for anxiety disorders - it has the most evidence base. If you stick with the program and do your homework everyday your brain structure will actually change how it processes situations - which means you will have less anxiety. how are you doing today? Any questions on the program so far?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for letting me know about that root you are using. If I can work up the nerve to go to a store today Im going to try to find some myself and try it. I will probably just end up having to have someone to go for me like I always do, but hey, I guess breaking that cycle is why we are here LOL. Thanks again!
8 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi snowboarder,

Welcome to the group. I also struggle with panic attacks in specific situations. My current regimen includes Lexapro and Abilify. I can definitely relate with the allotted symptoms symptoms that you have experienced. I've only been on this website now for two weeks but I've already found a lot of relief and using the panic cycle diagram in my head on a daily basis. For me it's too easy-ttor enforce my fears by avoiding the situations which makes it worse in the long run. As far as using supplements go,  I've tried to many already one that works well for me is called ashwanganda root by now foods. There is some evidence that it works via GABA receptors like both Ativan and Xanax. Well good luck on your journey.

sincerely,

Medical student with ironic panic disorder
8 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello all, Where to begin. I'm 34 and I'm from North Carolina. My panic attacks started around early 2012, so I've been having them for maybe 3 1/2 years now. I think they are really based in some constant traumatic events that were playing out around that time (I basically lived in a war zone for a few years before it) For a while I didn't really understand what I was feeling was actually panic attacks. One day at work early on, I literally thought I was having a heart attack. I was actually laying out in the bathroom floor at work thinking it was the end. Luckily at work we have a nurse and she checked my pulse and my blood pressure and found nothing wrong and that was the first suggestion anyone had made to me that what I was feeling was panic attacks. I've had good months (few panic attacks) and bad months since then. At first I tried to treat it herbally, using Valerian root and a thing I found at GNC called "Rescue Remedy". The combination together worked fairly good, but eventually either my panic attacks got worse or I got immune to its effectiveness. I first sought medical treatment for my attacks almost exactly a 2 years ago. For the first 6 months I was on Prozac and Visteril, but found the combination to really be about as effective as my herbal treatment had become...not at all...so, I went back to the doctor and they switched me to Paxil and Xanax. This was a very effective treatment and I had very few panic attacks during that time that I was on that regimen. Recently I've switched to Paxil and Ativan because my goal is to come off the benzo's and my doctor thought it would be easier for me to come off Ativan than Xanax and for the most part I whole heartedly agree. However, I've noticed that during this time of switching over, my panic attacks have came back pretty often and I'm feeling more anxiety than normal. I suspect that much of this is simply withdrawal symptoms, but its still VERY uncomfortable to say the least. I've become really agitated under fluorescent lights and around noise of nearly any level. Even two conversations going on at one time makes me feel like I want to crawl out of my skin. So, I found this website online, and I thought that while I go through this step-down, working through this program seems like it may help me. So, hello to all and best wishes to everyone trying to beat this thing like me!!!

Reading this thread: