Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,531 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

New old guy -

8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It sounds like you were doing EMDR. I have heard conflicting things about EMDR. I knew the eye movement aspect of the treatment is not proven to be effective but other aspects of the therapy does have an evidence base. It is a well known trauma treatment.

Taking the dogs for a walk and all the other things you mentioned sound great for relaxation. I love that you are trying new things. That is so important. Yoga would be great but yes it will be quite a challenge to begin. I am very inflexible myself so I use youtube videos for yoga at home. There are tons of great ones online. There are also lots of great cardio videos too! It might be a good place to start? Exercise really makes a huge impact on mood and anxiety issues.

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'd like to go to a class where it's not that challenging, just for the community feeling, which isn't the same on youtube. It's harder to find in my big city. Many classes are just out of my physical range, but chair yoga worked out once.
8 years ago 0 162 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yoga isn't a competition....and no one is watching you.  You don't have to bend yourself like a pretzel either...I certainly can't.  It's all about the breathing and doing what you can do....not what others are doing.  There are tons of yoga videos on YouTube you could try in your own home if you're not comfortable going to a class at a gym or centre.  
8 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The stabilization term does not sound familiar. My last therapy included a few sessions where the doc (my general terminology for anyone in any type of medical or therapy job) did eye movement therapy. It seemed to help somewhat, but shortly after that I went on meds and basically all of the symptoms went away. As for relaxation - basically nothing organized. Take the dog for a walk around the lake, go to movies with the kids, video games - I tried kayaking for the first time a few weeks ago. I've actually thought about yoga, but I'm not young, I'm overweight - not flexible, and starting would be somewhat embarrassing it seems. But I do need to increase my flexibility something terrible, and the change of pace might help. My old workout routines revolved around weights and running. The anxiety over heart issues cut out my running, and the weight packed on fast. I apologize for the delayed response, but I'm in the middle of a long training cycle at work (one day last week was 16 hours).
8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

I am glad you found this site. It can certainly help with some elements of your anxiety. The exposure section may not apply to you though. Typically in PTSD treatment the memories are talked about in order to desensitze you. For example, it sounds like night time may be a trigger for you. A good therapist would get to the bottom of this and change this trigger. But before all that can happen you will need to be "stabilized". Generally traumatic memories are not discussed in therapy until you first have coping skills to help you to deal with the overwhelming emotions and fears that tend to arise when you discuss these memories. I am not sure if you have done any stabilization work in your past therapy session. If not, I encourage you to look into this first and foremost. Check out the section on relaxation techniques here. Also, look into mindfulness. I cannot stress mindfulness enough as there is a ton of research out now proving it's effectiveness and it's impact on calming the brain and body. You may also want to look into meditation and yoga. What do you do currently to relax yourself?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Howdy all.  New to the site - just trying to find my way around and connect.  Started having panic attacks years ago, but quickly got on meds to help.  I decided to get off the meds because of side-effects, and the panic attacks came back with a vengeance.  I know the root cause of mine - PTSD crap.  Too long in the Marines, then almost 20 years as a cop - much on a swat team.  After a fatal shooting that I very nearly didn't survive, I couldn't wind down.  Anxiety grew due to operational tempo, memories of a lot of really bad stuff that I couldn't turn off, and just general stress.  Something had to give and eventually I had a panic attack - thought I was having a heart attack.  Weeks of tests later, small heart defect found, but was determined not the cause of my issue.  So - now I know I have a heart defect, which made me more susceptible to panic attacks.  Just a cycle really.  I got out of the really dangerous jobs at work - nobody has actively tried to kill me in at least 2 years.  ;)  

I just train people full-time.  But about every few days, I'll feel something odd in my body, and down the rabbit hole I go.  I've noticed that they increase sharply when one of my guys at work gets shot at or is involved in a shooting.  Doesn't happen often - but too often still.  I'm trying any outlet I can to keep from going back on even the one medication I was on, and thought a forum might help.

I came here looking for some sort of outlet.  PTSD and panic aren't discussed at my job - ever.  Not if you want to keep a job.  Anyway - mine almost always happen at night when I'm about to go to sleep.  No clue why.  I can usually just ride it out - no drinking or drugs.  This type of online info helps so far.    I don't see a therapist, because every one I've seen just seems so excited about my background (like they're enthralled to hear the awful stories I have bouncing around in my head).  That turned me off - I really don't like reliving violence  in detail.  

Anyway - thanks for everyone who shares and tries to help.  This stuff is important.

Reading this thread: