Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

Time to get serious

9 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Lola82,

How are you feeling today? How far along are you on the program? Any questions so far?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lola,
Welcome to the program and forum. CBT takes time but things will get better. Take your time with it no need to hurry.
Some of us have been here a long time and tune up our coping skills as needed now..

Nice to have your with us..

Red...

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lola

I'm not the only success but I am the only one who has stuck around to support.

Davit
9 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Thanks for the message.  It is inspiring to hear you have gotten over it. 
I would also describe this as hell,  sometimes I feel like prison would be a better deal to be honest.
Sorry to sound so gloomy and negative but this is where my head is at right now.
Looking forward to reading more success stories and getting started, hopefully I find the courage.

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome lola

I have been there. You might say to hell and back and the trip was no fun. Some times the memory bothers me and all the time and all I could have been that is lost pisses me off. But it is over and I'm fine now and picking up the pieces. Some of those pieces don't fit together anymore. I function and can do anything within my physical limit. I'm not dependent on medication but do have valium which I only use as a muscle relaxant when my blood pressure gets too high. I am living in a high stress situation right now and coping quite well although I don't like it. It will pass. I will never revert to using medication to shop. There is no need. CBT saw to that. I love coffee but limit it to mornings. Simply because it keeps me awake. I seem to be very sensitive to it. Some of my triggers are still there, most have faded away. Those that are still there have a different affect. Concern, not worry or fear so they are harmless. 
Coping skills are a necessary start to get instant relief but only CBT will make it lasting. I remember having had a year of panic attacks every night despite medication. I remember years of anxiety leading up to it. Physical trauma seems to have set the triggers in place pushing me from anxiety to major panic attacks lasting for hours. I remember four years of Ativan culminating in it not working any more and a year to get off it. I also remember six weeks in the psych ward with a badly infected broken leg. A voluntary stay because suicide was looking like the answer. Funny the people I talked to all said it seemed like the answer at the time. It isn't.
With some knowledge and understanding and some support Agoraphobia is curable. And with it's cure everything else falls into place. At least it did for me and a few others I still stay in contact with. 

Davit
9 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello..
I am glad to have come across this site.. it is more solution focused which I have been looking for, some of the forums tend to focus more on the problem.
I have had 2 single episode panic attacks in early 20's which I quickly forgot about and got on with my day..But 5 years ago I had what I could only describe as  'nervous breakdown' some smaller symptoms for a few days, a big panic attack at work which I left on the spot and never returned to.  For 2 weeks I was having panic everywhere, in stores,driving.  I  felt like I couldn't swallow, had trouble taking breaths and had naseau for a week straight. Almost overnight I turned agoraphobic.  I have never been the same since.  Driving is ok for me, but everything else is not really and I can only do a proper relaxed grocery shopping(in a smaller store) on clonazepam..I want (and need) to get back into life now, I need to work and be able to commute and take transit. I just cannot live like this anymore.  I am very scared to stay in an exposure and have a voice telling me that I can't do it, but I am determined to at least try.  

Reading this thread: