Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Suffering from severe social anxiety

9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Anitha,

I am glad you found us as well. Rest assure anxiety is one of the most managable mental health issues out there. Congitive Behaviour Therapy is usually the first line of treatment offered to people with anxiety. Be sure to stick with it and complete the homework and you should notice a difference soon.

Shaking in public is a common symptom of anxiety. If you manage the under lying thought processes you will likely lesson the shaking. Please know there is lots of hope. Information is power!

How are you feeling today?
Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Propranolol, a beta blocker is used for tremors.  It is used by musicians for social anxiety and by surgeons for hand shakes. Originally meant as a heart medication it does a poor job as do the other beta blockers do a poor job for anxiety of any sort. Yet doctors prescribe their pet beta blocker even if it is the wrong one. Yes this is prescription only.

Davit.
9 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone, 

I am so grateful that I have found this site. I am living in a tiny island in the South Pacific called Samoa and there is little to no professional mental health programs on this side of the world. There are no working psychiatrists, that i know of anyway so I had to rely heavily on google to get an idea of what I was/am going through. Where I am from, the status of mental health is very low so there is little to no attention given to people who suffer from conditions such as depression and anxiety. I believe this has contributed greatly to a myriad of social problems that continue to engulf the country. It is not common to go see a regular GP and describe symptoms of anxiety or depression as such problems are just not addressed where i am from. In fact, I also thought it was a physical illness that was causing my hands to shake uncontrollably infront of people or when i am in social situations. I have started on session 1 of this program (just today) but even after reading that first session I am starting to relate to some of the issues described and i really do hope this will work for me. 

Basically, I have taken the avoidance approach and though this does help me in the short term, as soon as i sit back and think back to the event that i have missed i start to feel guilty for not going especially when its events involving my husbands family. As i continue to avoid though, the scope of events that i dont attend has grown tremendously. Now, even something simple like getting a sandwich at a cafe gets me on edge. The worry usually builds up even before we arrive at the cafe and as soon as we get there i am on edge the whole time beause i fear someone we know might show up and want to sit with us, making me feel uncomfortable. The greatest challenge for me is the symptoms, which is my fingers shaking all the time. Is there any medication, something with lesser side effects, that I can take to control the hand trembles? i hope i can find them here over the counter. Otherwise, Ill discuss my symptoms with a GP and see if they can prescribe it for me.  It does get very embarrassing and I'm eager to go out and start socializing more i am just really barred from doing that out of fear my hands will give away my anxiety. Please help. Nice to meet everyone. 

Reading this thread: