Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

New member and I have a couple questions

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You have one advantage having not done CBT before. No misconceptions. There are a lot of things called CBT that are not or at best borderline. A lot of them are only the preliminary to CBT. I'd like to take the last word out of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and change it to Alignment or some similar word because the first part of CBT is therapy but the advanced part is realigning thinking. Changing how the mind sees and deals with triggers and piling it in memory so it becomes the norm instead of the exception. In the beginning it is therapy because it has to be repeated every time there is a trigger but with repetition the triggers get a new meaning and this is more realignment and this is what you want. You want the triggers to be harmless because they trigger a different thought. A harmless thought. And to do this you have to change how you see them in memory. This often means challenging and changing core beliefs. And these core beliefs might have been there since childhood. A combination of events may be making them stronger and more damaging now than ever before. 

CBT in principle is a simple thing but in reality it is the hardest simple thing you will do. So many things will be against changing. Core beliefs, family and peer pressure. Surroundings and conditioning. And not only will people not understand why you are the way you are, they won't understand what you are doing to change it. There is no such thing as just do it in our world. The goal is to not have to. 

Take my word for it by the time you are done you will not only be different, you will be better and you will be someone you can be proud of. Self esteem is a big part of this as is perception attitude and belief. All things you will learn about in your journey. 

Keep in mind that I am not selling a book, I'm selling you, I have no need to lie. It is all in you, it just needs to be brought out. Time will do that. As will the support here. You are not alone and never need to be. We will walk this journey with you. This will not be the first time. There were other journeys. Successful journeys.

Core beliefs: Think of them as going for years using a word in a sentence only to learn it means something else. That you have been thinking the wrong thing because you thought it was right.

Davit.
10 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've sent her emails explaining my situation and taking responsibility for my actions. And yes, I don't like holding onto grudges or ending any relationship in a negative way, so to me, it's very important to get some form of closure. I have never tried CBT before. Thank you!

And thanks Davit as well for the tips!
10 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome.

Sorry to hear you feel so alone. Hopefully we can make you feel a bit more connected. I'm also sorry to hear about your friend. How have you tried too reach out and apologize to her thus far. Do you feel it's important to you to try and make peace with her?

Starting the  program is a great idea. Have you tried any cognitive behaviour therapy techniques before?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to state first that anything I say is to be considered personal experience even if it comes from reliable sources. 
Second I am not here for my ego. I've been accused of that. I'm here as support from someone who went through hell and survived. I'm just an example of how CBT works.

That said. Medication: SSRIs are the first line first choice drug because they work most of the time. There is nothing wrong with my Seratonin levels so SSRIs make me very sick and anxious to the point of suicidal thoughts. Now my Dopamine levels are a different storey. Trimipramine reduces my suicidal thoughts and the anxiety that comes with them and vice versa. Fortunately I seldom need it and at that it is on an as needed basis. Not as it should be taken. But I'm too sensitive to it. Buspar, the other anti anxiety didn't work for me. 

Tips. Yes and it covers all of them. There are no short cuts. Read a head if you want to but you have to do everything in order and not move ahead till you understand it thoroughly. The first part is not CBT but necessary to do CBT so it can not be left out for CBT to work. The program contains all you need but you need all of it. Like making a cake. 
Relaxation and coping skills will get you functional again but unless you want to go through life coping don't stop there. 
But they are necessary to do the CBT part. And they are necessary to do the exposure part that will show you how well you are progressing. If you don't understand something redo it or come here and ask questions.
The ultimate goal is to change how you see things so they don't cause panic. They will still be there but with a change of thought patterns they will be different and not harmful.
There will be relapses as your mind tries to reject all of this. Stay at it. Repetition is what got you in trouble repetition will get you out. You can do this. 50% is not a passing mark. 80% will get you functioning. No one gets 100% but we all aim for that and more. I may yet get there but I have been doing this a long time. Breaks are okay as long as you don't quit.
The site is anonymous there are no wrong questions. 

Davit
10 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi. I'm new here but not new to anxiety. I started to develop anxiety shortly after being put on medicine back in 2005. The medicine in question was Prozac and Risperdal, neither of which I really needed since as I said, I didn't have any anxiety symptoms at the time. I believe I was misdiagnosed. Does anyone know if either of these medications can cause anxiety? I imagine it wouldn't be Prozac since that is supposed to be an antidepressant. I'm unsure if there's a correlation. Anyway, the anxiety was manageable until I stopped taking the aforementioned medicine cold turkey, which made the symptoms much worse. I don't know how long withdrawal symptoms can last, though I imagine it's psychosomatic by this point. After my problem became worse, I made the hard decision to cut off communication from all my friends, in fear of them judging me. This past July, I got in contact with someone whom I considered to be my best friend at one time, but she seemed uninterested in talking to me. I took this way too personal, and insulted her and now she wants nothing to do with me, understandably. I've apologized and tried to explain the situation to her but obviously she doesn't want to deal with my problems, since she has college and work and what not. I understand why she's upset, but I can't shake this feeling of guilt. I feel awful about it. Not much more I can do though.

I'm going to start the program soon and hopefully it can help me. I feel like a prisoner in my own house and I don't want to live like this anymore. I know I'm not the only one who's going through this, but sometimes it feels like I'm on a deserted island. Any tips I should know before I start?

Reading this thread: