Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Panic Attacks for over 20 Years

10 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am sorry to hear you are battling so hard with anxiety. It can be so overwheling. Especially when it is effecting your work.

I hope this site helps you too! Have you tryed cognitive behaviour therapy before? CBT is one of the best treatments for anxiety.
Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If you go through old posts you will see I talk about the difference between have to and want to. They seem like the same thing and in principle sort of are but how they affect personality and anxiety are polar opposites. 
You have a job that has a lot more "have to" than "want to". In fact the only want to's may be coffee breaks and going home. You may start off each day wanting to but the minute you go through the door it becomes have to. Any control you had is now in the hands of the situation, not you. This is the modern definition of Agoraphobia. A fear of not having control of the situation. A fear of driving is agoraphobia and often has nothing to do with the act of driving but some related thing. In this case probably " have to". 
I couldn't drive to the store if I had to and when I could I still couldn't go in till I changed that to "want to". 
Even if you "want to" go to work so you can see Mrs so and so who is so cheerful, the lead up to it and surrounding situation is full of "have to's".

It is snowing here. Do I want to get on a tractor and move it. No. But to do it with ease and to wash the floor after I need to "want to" because if "I have to" I either won't or it will be very hard to do. I will most likely find a way to not because I can. 

Don't feel guilty about using your husband or this site or me even. It is temporary. It will change. I'm not supposed to say that even though in this case I believe it to be true. 
I know people. I think of another friend from here who now can drive anywhere and does with pleasure. And there is me too. I love to drive.

But I won't lie, it takes work. Minimum of six weeks in most cases. Longer if you only have weekends.

Davit 
10 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much.. it is so nice to know I'm not alone. I feel my world is getting smaller over the years. The guilt I feel for always making my husband drive me to and from work everyday weighs so heavy on me its a 60 mile drive round trip. I have really tried to drive to work but, I feel like I'm scheduling my own panic attack. It is such a  Isolated way to live. I want to be free from my own mind. 
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome. jmcr49

You can tell me and I will listen and I will understand because I have been there and back. I have hit the bottom of the black hole and lay there looking up wishing I could die. I have crawled my way back out. The broken nails have healed. The torn skin has healed but most important, the shattered mind has healed. I stand on my own two feet and face my demons and I am not afraid any more, I can do anything my body will let me. 
And I do it without medication and I too was on everything. Tricyclics SSRIs antipsycotics, Buspar. Ativan, valium. Herbals. I even spent time in the psych ward. I probably missed a few because as I lay there with my mind trying to kill me I said I won't do this anymore. I said, what is the difference between me and normal people, what is different to make me this way. What is happening.
I will learn why this is happening and I will learn how the mind works so I can fix it. No more bandaids. No more bull ****, I want what works and only what works. And there were revelations with the information. The mind does not work the way we think it does. It has a few rules that need to be followed to stay on the path because off the path it still works but just not as it should. It needs memory and information to work but can work with any information and memory, even the wrong kind, even with lies if it thinks they are true. And it does do what it is asked but has to be asked to do the right things and has to be given the right memories to make the right decisions. That simple. Only it will be the hardest simple thing you do. Can you do it. Have you hit bottom, have you cried enough to want to be better. You can be if you want it bad enough. You made it through nursing school, you can make it through this and you won't have to pay back the loan. All it costs is time.

Davit. 
10 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I'm new here. I have had panic attacks for over 20 years, and have tried every medication for depression, and anxiety known to man. I'm currently on two meds. They still don't work, nothing does. I can no longer drive because of panic attacks. Now they are starting to happen at work, I'm a Nurse... so I can't tell people about it. I hope this site helps :-) 

Reading this thread: