Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

First Post and very scared

12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi billcomp:  scary isn't it?  I remember my first panic attack even after 20 yrs.  How can we forget such an episode when we thought we were dying?  Well, I'm happy to let you know that I am panic free and have been for several yrs.  Why am I here?  Well because when i became ill a couple of yrs. ago the "symptoms" of panic started to come back.  Such as tight throat, like someone was choking me, chest pains, the chills and hot flushes, etc.  So I decided to do the CBT program again as a refresher.  And yes, you can do this more than once, take your time with lessons/sessions.  Work at your own pace, go back and redo, whatever suits you best.  And pls. ask as many questions as you wish, silly or not, we have all been at square one, we understand that part.  Everyone is different of course, but the basic pattern for panic stays the same.  Don't skip the homework parts, they are important.  Not only will they provide you with information on how you are doing, they will help you understand yourself better and recognize your triggers, what is it that bothers you personally.  You will find some very inspiring posts from others - go ahead and read posts on subjects which may be of interest to you.
Keep posting, let us know how it goes, we are all here to support one another, and we do care.

Sunny
12 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That helps.  Thanks Davit
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
billcomp

Panic is a survival skill for when anxiety gets overwhelming or there actually is danger. A panic attack is only panic that is run away and won't shut down. The symptoms can be almost anything but are usually keyed to preparation for fight or flight. This includes hiding. 
The rule here is be sure there is nothing actually physical causing it before saying it is a symptom of a panic attack or pending one. That said, anything can be a symptom and there is always a reason even if some are twisted or down right stupid.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello billcomp,

As Ashley mentioned the program is an excellent tool to assist you with panic. In regards to your most recent questions check out session 1: Understanding Panic. This session goes over important details about the panic cycle and may help clarify your inquiry.
 Never worry about asking silly questions, we are all here to help each other out. Check in again soon. 

Members, how has session 1 helped you better understand the panic cycle? Would you explain the panic cycle experience any differently than it is explained?

Samantha, Health Educator
Thanks for the support guys.  I have a question.  I know two of my episodes were out and out panic attacks.  debilitating.  But I have several instances a week where I can be in a great mood then something will happen that makes me get cold chills in my chest and maybe my heart races for a bit.  Then I just go into a fog for sometimes hours.  Is this a panic attack also?  This maybe a silly question but I honestly am so new to this that I don't even truly know what a panic attack is.  I thought I did until I had the two that made me completely dysfunctional. 
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Billcomp,

First of all, good for you for trusting your instincts with your Doctor. It sounds like you are on the right path to managing anxiety.  Anxiety is a very managable disorder. The program and support group can help you do that. The program takes time and work but you will see results.  Make a plan for yourself regarding when you want to work on the program. Some members find it beneficial to work on the program with the assitance of their doctor or therapist; however, this isn't essential and may even be the best option for some.

Continue to post and we will support you through this.

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
billcomp.

Hi, and welcome to the site. 

I'm a cured member. As cured as we get I think. To answer your question. Now that you have had a panic attack and know what they are you can never go back to how life was before having one. It is sort of like being in an accident. You never think about it till you have one. After you are more cautious knowing it could happen again. This isn't a bad thing. You learn to recognize the signs of a pending attack and how to prevent it. Before panic attacks a person usually thinks they are sick or something similar or if they happen at night they think nightmare. Once you know what they are, you know, and some times you really know. You can learn to control them to the point you do it automatic and subconscious. This in a way is like getting back to how you were and if you are an anxious type and always were you can be better than you were since you will have the skills now to stay calm in anxious situations.
Also, this is an acquired condition not a disease. CBT will reverse it even though you will always have the potential to have it come back if you let it. 
I'm happy, much happier than I was before I knew what was wrong with me. Try to read past posts even if they are disturbing. They will give you an idea of what you are dealing with. 
Believe me it is better than being told you have some actual disease like my Arthritis.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there I have been having anxiety attacks for over 20 years & find that if I breathe into a paper bag  when having one it slows your breathing down & helps you to focus and listen to your breath, eventually the pounding heart you feel in your chest will slow down to normal. just a little piece of advice that may be of help.
Good luck with your counselling
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bill, I wanted to share a few things.  First of all, you are not alone.  This is a wonderful community of support for you.  Many here have had very similar experiences to yours.  I have found the program to be so helpful. The "homework" has helped me on numerous occasions to avoid attacks. 
I still am not my old self (and that makes me anxious sometimes) but I know that I will be back - and even better than before - because I have learned how to relax! Keep us posted - you will do great if you follow the program on this site.  I am sorry for your hardships - being scared is awful - being happy again is the best!  I know you can do it!

I had my first panic attack about 2 months ago.  Completely out of the blue.  I had been feeling some depression and went to the dr.  He gave me some antidepressants.  Felt pretty good for about 4 days and then boom.  I was sitting on the bed and my wife was holding on  to me.  I told her I was dieing.  I was so scared.  I didn't want to leave her.  It lasted about an hour while she just looked me in the eye and kept telling me to breathe.  She asked me why did i think I was dieing and I told her my heart was going to stop beating.  She assured me I wasn't dieing but I was pretty sure she was wrong.  Finally after about 30  minutes it started getting better and about an hour later I was mostly normal again.  However what I've realized now is that it takes me several days to fully recover.  I have lots of what I believe are panic attacks through the week.  Most only last a few seconds or minutes.  I've had one more major one since the first.  I guess I lost all the color from my face.  I had travelled to Florida to see my daughter and it was the first night together for all of us.  Sent her into tears.  I was so embarrassed.  After I quit taking the antidepressants my dr said well if that didn't work you must be bipolar.  I really don't think I am bipolar.  He kept asking me was I snappy at people.  I'm a very patient and kind person.  So I changed Docs and this one tells me He seriously doubts I'm bipolar.  Has me on a different antidepressant.  It's been 2 days on these and now I've had one good day and one bad day.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.  I read about this program on the internet and thought I'd check it out.  I sure hope it helps.  Does anyone ever get completely back to their old selves after this? 

Reading this thread: