Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

i am new any thought

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dizzy,
Welcome to the program and group.  Good work on challenging your anxious thoughts. Its good to have you here.

Red
13 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi I am semi new to the group and have been working through the course. I am now challenging my negative thoughts. Currently I am having panic attacks in bed when I wake up and say I wonder what will happen if I turn to my left. Then I turn to my left and have an attack. Or in another situation I say I am going to have an attack, and I do. In case you wondering the turning to my left has some significance in that I had chronic Labyrinthitis in my left ear which caused me to have severe vertigo and a sick felling when I turned to my left in bed. However I do not experience vertigo any more as I have adjusted to the hearing loss and lack of balance. I now live through the attacks but with some ramifications during the day. I have worked through the negative thoughts worksheet and have answered the last question what the worst thing that could happen. I keep wondering what will happen if the attacks start to get worse “in my mind I will end up in hospital again and I don’t want that”. The medication I was given in the hospital gave IBS for 15 years once I stopped the medication the IBS was virtually gone. This is why I am afraid of it getting worse I had IBS 5 to 6 times a week and it would keep me in the house for 6 hours. Then I became anxious about when I went out because I never knew when I was going to have IBS, now I know that the IBS was in a large part due to anxiety. I have not worked for long time and I am currently studying to finish my CA designation. But I currently live with my father and have attached security to where I live and how I am able to live because my father pays the lion’s share of expenses. So my worst possible outcome is father passing away no more home “security” and attacks getting worse (because as you know people with panic attacks don’t like change) and me ending up in hospital. I have looked at the worst case scenario and have concluded a couple of things one I am putting time pressure to get better before my father passes away. Two I have added implied premises to the 10 questions, which means what would have to happen to end up in the hospital and with IBS again. I came to the conclusion that there are at least 7 things that would have to happen to end up in that situation all of them imagining the worst or Catastrophizing, also the premises have to happen in sequentially in an all or nothing manner Black and White thinking in my case I imagine the worst happening through them all. So when I attach a probability to all 7 premises happening sequentially imaging the worst it is almost impossible for it to happen. This gives me a more balanced thought but I still seem to ruminate about it.

Reading this thread: