Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Introduction

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Salem,

Thank your for sharing your questions and experiences with other members here. It is difficult to say more about your heart rate and the increases as this can be caused by a number of things. In terms of your heart rate and exercise, everyone's heart rate naturally increases when doing exercise as we are exerting more energy and using our heart more. However, if you experience a fear of exercise, your heart rate will increase even more. The best suggestion would be to visit your family doctor if this problem persists. Your heart rate could be your body's way of communicating to you that you are feeling anxious or overwhelmed.

While you are here, take some time to review the session which outlines fears and phobias. This session will focus on the root of your fears, how you can challenge them, and how you can manage them successfully.

Let us know how you are doing and what we can do to help you. Good luck!

Sarah, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi guys, this site is great theres alot of good info, I just had a question dose any one else
have there heart rate beat at an elivated level for a long time, I have a real fear of exercise,
since Ive had panic attacks Im trying to overcome it, I just start walking out side up a hill your
heart rate goes up from maybe 75 to lets say 88, this is ok but than I get nervouse and like a reflex
it goes even higher to probaly 98 or than if you really get overwhelmed maybe over 100,  so then Im like
ok dont woory no swet Ill just ignor it, but its like it stays at that high elivated level your whole walk, again this
dosn't happen all the time but for a while I got into this rut like this, its like you have to at home mentaly convince your
self if exercising and your heart rate is already at 90, having panic attack at that moment dosn't mean its going to go
up to 120, I dont know im just wondering if anybody understands this,

14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley: thank you for the welcome. I have already completed Session #1 (part of my personality is that I dedicate 110% to everything, which can be exhausting) and look forward to working on the rest. I've already learned a great deal from both the educational material and forum posts. I'm definitely glad that I found this site!

Don: thanks for your posting! It does sound as if we have similar experiences. It just feels good to know that things aren't hopeless. Until this all recently happened, I thought that I was a pretty "normal" guy; however, I'm now realizing that I was steamrolling through life and not stopping to enjoy any of it. Like you, my inability to relax has left me worn and stressed out. Looking back over the years, I'm not sure that I've ever been truly relaxed... I always feel like I'm switched on. 

I also appreciate the advice on what to do when I'm feeling overwhelmed. I have been isolating myself lately (my friends and family have definitely noticed the change), so I'm consciously trying to change that behavior. I've even considered a therapeutic massage, which is a shock because I've never felt comfortable with a stranger's hands on me. I know that it will be better in the long run, though, so maybe everything that's happened over the past few months has been for the positive after all

Congrats on everything you've accomplished so far! I bet it's a great feeling. I'm determined  to say the same about myself someday! Thanks, again.

-Braden

14 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Braden,
Just read your post and thought about how similar your experience seems to be with mine. I too have struggled with Generalized Anxiety Disorder most of my life, and am really prone to excessive worrying.  I find it hard to relax, which has in the past affected my sleep, appetite (lack), social life, self confidence, you name it. But I noticed one thing in your post that caught my eye, and that is the fact that you are an eager learner. Learning is a process, and with practise, your anxiety will get better. Trust me. I resorted to alcohol to try to reduce my anxiety to calm me down I was so desperate, but of course just made things worse in the long run.  Going through a program like this has really helped me.  I don't drink at all anymore (11 months with no cravings), my anti-anxiety medication is down 75% from where I started, and the intensity of the anxiety has really gone down. Don't give up! And whatever you do, try not to isolate yourself from people like I did when my anxiety was at it's worst. And find time to do what you really like to do, whether it be a hobby, camping, running or whatever. You need a healthy "escape" sometimes.  A relaxing massage every now and then is working wonders for me as well!! Look forward to hearing how you progress with this program. Good luck!
14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Braden!

Glad to have you.  It sounds like you are off to a very good start in combating your anxiety.  It's important for you to know that anxiety is manageable.

Have you started working through the program? It is full of great information and you can even take the tests to your counselor to look at.  Also, read and post as much as you like.  We are all in this together here.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Stay strong

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Everyone,

Wow, I can't begin to say how great it is to find an online community experiencing many of the feelings/thoughts I've been combating for a while now! I'm a 29 y/o male and was recently diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I injured my chest approximately four months ago and things have been in a downward spiral since. I still experience chest pain, which tends to exacerbate my anxiety. I'm always worried about the future and constantly find myself asking "what if?" The past few months have been like a roller coaster, with good days and bad days (the days when my anxiety increases and I feel my chest pounding, heart racing, and difficulty breathing).

I am on a low dose daily anti-anxiety medicine and have had tests done. I am also seeing a counselor. The good days do outweigh the bad, but I'd love to connect with others experiencing similar issues. I'm an eager learner and would love to discuss new ways to combat my constant worrying and learn to finally relax!

I look forward to chatting with you all! Thanks for the support.

-Braden

Reading this thread: