Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Panic resurfacing

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HEllo Kdawg,

The program here is great and very helpful and the people very supportive. It helped me quite a bit. Welcome to the forums!
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kdawg,   Having worked in the healthcare field myself I totally appreciate your concerns and fears.  I too have thought many times, "what if I harm this patient unknowingly"? It would not be an easy burden to carry on my consciensce. But then I also realize that many have been saved and aided by the health care provided and have been enabled to live their lives to the fullest.   Would it be possible for you to focus on the positive aspects of your work and all the good that is coming out of the work that is done at the hospital? Certainly with you around, the hospital must be a better place not only for the patients, but also your coworkers.   I admire your integrity and compassion. Focus on the positive and do your best.........you are only human.   I welcome you also to the program and I believe that if you work through the sessions you will make great progress.   Faryal - Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome kdawg. It can be very scary worrying about health when you know all the things that can go wrong! I am in medical science so I know my fair share about the human body. But I am not a doctor so with me it's the whole "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing".
One eventually learns how to not obsess over health problems. Whenever possible it helps not to avoid situations that cause you anxiety. The fact that you care enough about others that you experience so much anxiety should remind you of what a great person you are! Sure you will feel better. Good luck.   
15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Kdawg,
Yes, agreeing with everyone, I'm glad there are health carers like yourself. 
I feel how courageous you are to do the things you do and thank you for doing it to helping many of us in need! I appreciate you just by being a health carer because you help others to better their lives.
I think it is a normal feeling to feel stressed during this time after something traumatic like that. But it will clear soon, just take your time. 

15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello kdawg welcome . Im agreeing as well you do sound a lovely caring person . This is a great site and is so helpful .

CD
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
kdawg,

Welcome to our support community. We are here to help and support you, and to help you get back on track! It is great that you have some knowledge of CBT, and I am sure that you will find the program helpful. Please take the time to work through the program, and to look through the tools and resources that are available to you. I agree with Birdie, you sound like a very caring person. You will get through this, and you will be able to confidently return to work, get your kids off to school, and stay close to your hubby, even though he may be away.
Stay close, and keep us posted on how you're doing,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi!Kdwag-
You sound like a very caring person.  I think we all come here with a little different version of anxiety but all find common ground here.  I'm sure you will find good info here and following all the way through the program helped me see that I do have some control over my thoughts and how I face a situation I may have learned to fear. I think we are lucky to have people like you in our health care system that care about what they do!
Birdie

15 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have had panic attacks for the past 12 years. For most of that time period they have been controlled and I would experience a mild panic attack periodically. I work in healthcare and had to undergo medical treatment for an orthopedic injury almost a year ago. Because I see medical mistakes, I was terrified to have surgery. After surgery, I did experience some complications which caused me extreme anxiety for a few months. I considered every possible negative outcome of the event and dwelled on the situation. My anxiety finally subsided within the last 3 months.

Last week, I witnessed first-hand a serious medical mistake where a young woman suffered serious and permanent damage. It was the consequence of a coworker's oversight. Because my coworker was so distraught, I was the one in charge of the whole situation. Even though the error had nothing to do with me, I kept thinking 'what if I had caused injury to someone' and 'how could I live with myself knowing I had hurt someone' and 'what would happen if I had done this and lost my license'. I took some time off of work and it helped. I realize I can't predict the future and I can't change events that have already happened, but I really seem to be dwelling on the issue. We were discussing the mistake tonight and about an hour later out of the blue, I felt a strange sensation in my chest. Thet led to, ' am I having a heart arrythmia and if so, I am not going to let anyone in this hospital touch me - they might hurt me by mistake". My anxiety rapidly escalated to panic and despite my efforts to calm down, I ended up leaving work for fear that I would lose my focus and make a mistake. This was my second anxiety attack in the last week. I am scared to go back to work tomorrow.

In addition to my stress at work, I feel very pressured in preparing my kids for their first day of school. Not to mention my husband will be gone for most of September.

I am really hoping that with my prior knowledge of CBT and with the help of this course I can get back on track.

Reading this thread: