Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,661 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ, Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA

HELLO THERE

21 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
SCBB, I see you have a trick to remember what someone has posted. You shouldn't have to do that though, unless you prefer to do it that way. I've added something to the Posting Tips (in this forum) that may help. :)
21 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Elaine, welcome to the site and to the group! May I suggest you sin up for the free online panic diary and record your episode there? It is confidential and will be a record to keep or to print and take to your doctor. Understandable about your stress, but you also mentioned Sept 11th. Was you panic attack about an unknown fear related to that? Don't hesitate to post in the other forums. This is a new site and as soon as we complete building it (yes, there's more exciting stuff coming very soon!) we expect it to grow more rapidly. Nice to have you with us! -- Anne-Marie, Site Administrator
21 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Elaine and welcome to the group!!! I'm headed off to bed right now, but wanted to say hello and welcome!! Hope to keep hearing from you!! I'll try to write more another time when the eyes aren't soo tired ;) luv, SCBB
21 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Elaine, I hope you dont' mind if i quote you, but i always decided to reply to someone, and then forget what i was talking about. I quoted you so that i could remember too. You said: "I did have my first panic attack in over 4 years last week when I was walking with my daughter to the library. It was a real intense one that kind of came in waves for almost an hour and then just went away. Could it just be an isolated occurance or should I be prepared for others." First of all, i can relate to this type of panic attack. I have not had any serious episodes of panic in almost a year. However, the odd time, i experience a panic attack for no apparent cause. Mine also last a long time, and come in waves. I actually found that that was a perfect way to describe it, its like a continuous assault, before you can recover, it hits you again. Realistically, i don't think that you can ever be sure that you'll never have another panic attack. I think that whether or not this one instance becomes an episode depends on you. First of all, don't be so afraid to have a panic attack, that you have a panic attack over it. Secondly, don't give it too much thought. Stay positive and stong mentally, its probably your best defence. One trick i've found works for me, but may sound silly to others, is to talk to my panic. No, i don't have conversations with it (No point, clearly it doesn't want to reason), but i do tell it, out loud or in my head, to go away. I say that i can't deal with you right now, so go away until later. It actually does go away! AND it doesn't tend to come back. Try not to think of anything during your panic attack except how good you'll feel after its gone. I have often fallen into the trap where during a panic attack, i'll think about past ones. This generally increases the severity. In sum, i've learned that a panic attack is not the end of the world. If one catches me by surprise, i know it will go away. My main focus is to not let one panic attack escalate into many, b/c long periods of panic attacks CAN feel like the end of the world. On a completely different note, thanks for giving me the opportunity to write this down! I've been feeling for the past few days like panic attacks are on the horizon, i have a lot of stres
21 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI ELAINE, WELCOME ON BOARD! I AM NEW HERE TOO. JUST SIGNED UP LAST MONTH AND SINCE THEN I KEEP TRACK OF ALL THE POSTINGS HERE. ANYWAY, I CAN PRETTY MUCH RELATE TO YOUR STRESS WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR SON COZ MY SISTER HAS A SON TOO WHO IS IN THE SAME PREDICAMENT. PANIC ATTACKS CAN COME AND GO (I SPEAK FOR MYSELF ONLY), BUT IT IS SURE TO COME WHEN YOU ARE HEAVILY UNDER STRESS AND ESPECIALLY IF ONE IS UNABLE TO REDIRECT THE STRESS INTO SOMETHING CREATIVE OR POSITIVE. IN YOUR CASE, HAVE YOU TRIED DETACHING FOR A WHILE FROM THE STRESSFUL SITUATION BY RELAXING OR MEDITATING? I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT ELAINE. I FIND THAT WHEN A SITUATION MAKES ME EDGY OR UPTIGHT I RETREAT INTO MY SACRED CORNER AND MAKE THAT CONNECTION FROM DEEP WITHIN. YOU WILL BE OK. TRUST IN SOMEONE MORE POWERFUL AND IN CONTROL. I WILL BE HERE FOR YOU PRAYING. FRIENDS? CHERRY :)
21 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[font=Trebuchet MS]Text[/font][size=4]Text[/size][color=Teal]Text[/color][b]Text[/b][i]Text[/i] Hello All: My name is Elaine and Ihave suffered from panic attacks since 92. I had my first one when I was sufferering from a bladder infection and just about to make a move to a new home. our son Travis who is now 12 was born 2 years earlier with some medical problems , contracted Meningitis and then developed Hydrocephalus,(water on the brain). He had had 28 surgeries due to the shunt he had place to remove all the fluid that builds up. he does have some behavioral challenges that we are dealing with. I do live under a moderate deal of stress all the time. He could get very ill very suddenly so I am sort of on guard most of the time. i stopped all meds for my panic over 2 years ago. I have3 been doing really good. I did have my first panic attack in over 4 years last week when I was walking with my daughter to the library. It was a real intense one that kind of came in waves for almost an hour and then just went away. Could it just be an isolated occurance or should I be prepared for others. What I was surprised about is that I had no panic attacks on Sept 11 or even a while after??? I do have a great difficulty sleeping though sort of chronic insomnia. I just wanted to say hi and say that I am glad i found this group and site. I now know I am not alone. elaine

Reading this thread: