Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

New to the forum

6 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Amazing!!!

Thank you for sharing your progress with us and inspiring us. 

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just a quick update. I have been slowly making my way through the program over the past 6 weeks and although due to my scheduled it's taking twice as long I can say I am absolutely changing for the better. When I first joined the forum I was searching for anything to help me get better. I felt that I needed to recenter my mind. Even though I have read or already know a lot of the material I have been reading the layout and the homework has been working. It forces me to stop and think about each step and not just read until I see something that interests me. I've been comfortably driving on the freeway, riding my motorcycle and best of all, I am learning to enjoy the moment and not worry about the next. I'm looking forward to continually progressing. 

The program will help you control those thoughts and create new thought patterns. With practice it will become easier to not focus on all the potential dangers. Keep in mind that that instinct is helpful and natural. In fact, seeing dangers it what helps keep us safe. In this case though it sounds like it is hindering you more then helping you. This program will help you to control your thoughts - so that your thoughts can stop controlling you.

How are you doing today?
Ashley, Health Educator
Thank you Ashley, although I've come far from the days of being stuck at home, I am nowhere near where I want to be. It has been a long road and I can't honestly pinpoint one thing that has worked for me. I feel like I go through cycles where I accept the way I am but then I'll want or need to do something that I am not comfortable, like travel for instance, and I'll just push myself to do it. I can get away with this where I'm not in control, for instance on an airplane the worst that can happen is I pass out which has never happened. But when I'm in a car driving on California freeways, it's a different story. I can't seem to push myself far enough in fear of possibly losing control and harming others. This is my most recent "I'm fed up with it" challenge to myself now.

Although I feel that I know a lot of the information in the program I intend on working the complete program from start to finish. I'm pretty busy so it may take me a little longer but I'll do it. I'm not formally tried CBT but I have heard of it and am eager to try it. As of now I am challenging myself to begin driving on the freeway again and also I recently bought a motorcycle which was a love of mine prior to anxiety. I make progress in the short term because I can force myself to drive and if I get too overwhelmed I have Xanax with me at all times although I rarely take it. It's my security blanket. What I can't seem to get over are the anxious and negative thoughts. With all the progress I have made, my mind is never not focused on possible dangers, possible panic attacks etc. I always know where the exit is. This is what I hope to get out of this program. I'll keep you posted
Welcome!

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I am very impressed with how far you have come and how many things you have tried. It is that kind of determination that will ensure you will keep getting healthier and healthier.

Do you plan on working on the program? Are you familiar with CBT? How have you been challenging your anxious thoughts? 
Ashley, Health Educator
Hello everyone, I've been dealing with anxiety/panic for 19 years now. I had by first panic attack in 1998 on the way to pick my wife, then fiance up from work, I was about a mile from her office when suddenly my heart felt like it skipped a beat and I temporarily lost my breath. This lasted just a few seconds but to someone who had never been sick or injured it scared me. I couldn't get over the thought that something was wrong with me. The next attack was about a week later when I was riding home on my motorcycle, I was almost home when my heart started racing I felt like I couldn't breathe, I pulled over to the side of the road, called my wife and laid on the sidewalk until she got there. I couldn't explain what happened all I knew is that I was dying. I ended up having to call a friend to drive my motorcycle home for me because I'd get on it and make it about a hundred yards and have to pull over. The last and I feel was the one that solidified my life of anxiety came a couple of days after the motorcycle when I was sitting at home on the couch with my wife. I suddenly couldn't breathe and if felt like my throat was closing. She tried to drive me to the ER but I couldn't sit in the car, I got out of the car a made it back to house and we called 911. By the time the paramedics arrived my symptoms were gone. I was hooked up to hear monitors, they were taking my blood pressure and giving me oxygen and everything was 100% normal. The couldn't find anything wrong with me! They told me to see my doctor the next day and get a full checkup. Of course the doctor didn't find anything and I spent the next year barely leaving the house in fear dying or worst embarrassing myself in public. I went to numerous doctors to get tested and no one found anything until I ended up in urgent care due to dizziness. The doctor came back with pamphlets about anxiety. This was after over a year of living in constant fear to the point that I was not leaving the house and if I did I had to be driven there and picked. Looking back now I've made leaps and bounds in getting better but I still deal with the daily negative and catastrophic thoughts. I live a fairly normal life outwardly, I have a family, run a business etc. but I cannot drive on the freeway alone and I still live in fear of having a panic attack. I only have panic attacks if I'm on the freeway alone or in a very uncomfortable situation like being on the Link in Las Vegas or if someone really upsets me I hold it in fester about it. I'd say I only have a full blown panic attacks a few times a year but each attack sets me way back and re-validates my negative and fearful thoughts. I am tired of the constant worry and always having a contingency plan in the back of my mind. I want to enjoy the minute for the minute and not be worried about the next or comparing it to the previous. I have decided to face my fears head on until I overcome them. I need to reprogram my mind. I know it can be done, the Marine Corps took a young kid and turned me into a man in just a few months with a mentality that's still fresh in my mind almost 24 years later. I've tried medication, religion, meditation and group therapy and each has helped in their own way but I never felt that anyone really understood until I found this forum. Thank you for letting me share, I don't get to share with others who understand what I am going through. 

Reading this thread: