Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Questions about the homework for the first session

8 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit!! Glad to see you are here!! Looking forward to seeing you around! Davit is a wealth of knowledge... I try not to abuse it, but if I'm lost/confused, Davit seems to have the best answers I've heard so far! (hope I'm not setting you up for unwanted paparazzi, but I gotta applaud you, because you ARE a star in my book, my dear!) Ready to fight Panic, in1peace
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are welcome.

Keep in mind that you are going to find that things are not always what you think they are. This is part of core beliefs. A big part in fact. Agoraphobia is a fear of not having control. It manifests itself as a fear of the outdoors mostly but the root still is a fear of not having control which also manifests itself as anger at that situation with tears being the symptom if you don't have an answer for the Agoraphobia. There is a simple answer for Agoraphobia though and again it is not what one would think as a way to take back control. You don't take control of the situation because almost all of the time you can't. What you can do is take control of how you perceive the situation. In most cases by changing the negative "have to" to the positive "want to". Two words that appear to be the same but are worlds apart in affect. In fact "have to" is often a core belief built on others demands (parents, spouse, job) or how you see how others see you. (people pleasing, passive aggressive) The last being sub consciously very harmful. 

Core beliefs are very strong and can keep you doing something even if you don't want to. Good core beliefs are what keep us functioning in a logical way without conscious thought. Bad ones do the opposite, again without conscious thought. Which is why some times anxiety appears to come out of nowhere (GAD)

This is all fixable. The tears might stick around unless you want to take the anger route to anxiety cure. Not recommended if you want to keep friends and family. 
There is also the fact you might be an orange. There are two distinct opposite personalities referred to as Apples and Oranges because of their difference. Oranges are far more sensitive to their surroundings than Apples. Apples get anxiety but deal with it with aggression, passing it on to others when they can. (without realizing it) Second hand anxiety is worse than second hand smoke. You have little control over it.

Knowledge is power with anxiety and panic disorders.

Davit
9 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for this thoughtful response. 
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome.

I believe crying is a behaviour. It doesn't fit fight or flight or fear. Usually it is controllable and a warning that anxiety is building. When it is not it is usually because a situation is related to some previous trauma even if you can't remember it Associated memory can. Associated memory or Semantic memory is our memory of things and gives us our reactions to situations. It is a natural reaction to the anxiety disorder when all feels hopeless. It probably will stay with you as a marker of mood even when you get better. It isn't a bad thing. It is just letting you know you are getting close to the trauma. It isn't sad movies or situations but associations to them that causes the crying symptom. Why would it not, the movie is only a trigger. If it doesn't have an association then it does nothing. It can be a help in finding core beliefs. When you cry for no reason look at what you are doing at the time and if it is a core belief them you are probably trying to override it, more than likely because you have discovered it is negative or false. The most common core belief is that it is your fault. This one almost always proves to be wrong. Either way the treatment is the same.

Davit
9 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am new to the Panic Program and I have a question about the Anxiety forms. I am filling out the form for the first time today and I have had one experience today that I can't attribute any thoughts too. I just remember feeling overwhelmed; there were no specific thoughts in my head that I can think of. 
I also want to ask, is crying a behavior or a symptom of my anxiety? Sometimes I feel it's a symptom that I can't control like the heart palpitations, but other times I feel like it's my behavior, my reaction to being in a situation where i feel anxious but for whatever reason I can't escape/avoid. Can it be both, even in the same situation?

Reading this thread: