Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Trouble Starting

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Because nothing in memory can be erased there is always the possibility of the thoughts showing up again. so it is very important to have ways of dealing with them before changing them. This starts off with relaxation techniques and distractions. Then to acceptance and challenging. This includes finding a positive for every negative and  finally when you have a stock of positive to learning to choose a positive over a negative. In among this will be such "why" things as core beliefs and triggers. They are related. There is more but first you need to get started.

CBT works, never doubt that.

Davit.
10 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome  Jdurant2!

Yes, people have those thoughts. I think everyone has got a little fixated on death at one or more points in their life. I think having scary thoughts is normal but it becomes a problem when you become fixated on them and it start to effect your life and wellbeing. Focusing on death or any other scary thought can take all the joy out of your life. It's important to know that with CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) you have a choice. You can choose to keep believing those nasty thoughts in your head, or you can choose to tell those thoughts to get lost! It will take work but we can help you get there. You can get back to your life and focus on thoughts YOU choose. If you have these thought patterns ingrained in your behaviour this  can be a challenge but the freedom and joy you will gain from being in control is well worth it. Start with session one and let us know what you think!

I'm looking forward to reading more from you.

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome jdurant2,
You are not alone in this thinking there are many of us who have felt that way. I know I did and still do sometimes.
The difference for me now is after working on the program here those days are not the everyday norm now. I have learned how to manage these feeling and have more control over my thought and feeling than I have ever had. Mind you I still do have some bad days but now I have the tools I need to help me where as before I had nothing..

You can start out by just reading some of the sessions and you will be surprised how much just reading the information helps. Then you can start working threw them at your own pace. No need to hurry at all, just take your time and relax with the information here and before you know it you will start applying that information to you own life situations.

I was 56 years old when I found this site and had never heard of CBT before that. I wish I'd had this help when I was you age. I am now 59 and CBT has helped me imensely, so I know it can certainly help you. I also used their sister site the depression center too. The sessions over there are wonderful too..You can find it at the top of the forum page. Just click on More Help and you will find the links to take you there if you are interested.  

Good luck with it...

Red..

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
welcome jdurant2 My experience has been similar, with many attempts at many things, without completing a lot of things. That's the hallmark of anxiety, though. Interrupted by unproductive thoughts, compulsions, leading to many deadends, and discouragement. Jumping from one thing to another, without sticking with it, doesn't really accomplish much. I'm different, in one way. I stuck with whoever I was seeing. However, I was choosy about who I got as a coach. It's great timing to start the programme at the beginning of the year, or anytime. As a support group, we're here to help, including the facilitors!
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
welcome jdurant2

Why do I get the strong impression you are hoping that if it is just anxiety you will out grow it or it will do away or if you do the program it will stop. I can tell you the reason for every thought you have, every anxious moment too. But it won't do any good. The program is information, and good information that works but it can't fix you. You have to use that information to fix you. You have to do the work. We are a support group, we support you and encourage you as you do the work. And yes it does work. It works very well. Starting with relaxation and coping skills working up to changing thought patterns so you don't have the unwanted thoughts any more. A long slow process in most cases with much repeated work but patience and determination do pay off.

Davit
10 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been having a hard time even starting programs that help my anxiety.  I have been dealing with anxiety for about 5 years or so since around the age of 16.  I have been in and out of therapy and heard many different ideas that could help my anxiety but not too many of them worked.  I know that this decision to want to get better has to come from within me, but I find that my anxiety is so persistent and debilitating that I just need reassurance that this program is going to help me.  I often times think about death every day, several times a day and my thoughts are just so unusual but I tend to believe them anyways.  I have gone to countless doctors who all say that it is anxiety but I strongly believe otherwise.  I guess the push that I need can only come if I actually believe that I am having anxiety and that there is nothing more serious happening.  Does anyone else have similar thoughts?  I seem to not get better because I believe that something is seriously wrong with me and that I am going to have to suffer for the rest of my life

Reading this thread: