Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Session 7 Walkthrough

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
chris

Do you understand where from and why the unreality comes?  That is far more important.

Davit
10 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i fear unreality, even though i know rationally it is safe, but deep down i still fear it. i know it can occur at low levels of anxiety. should i use this section to bring it on and make it worse as it is present all day anyway?
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a couple of comments, one comes from my therapist and that one was 'acceptance.'
We need to spend some time on this. Accepting that what is happening allows the sensation to be less. not accepting it increases its effects. EG. racing heart. So it shouldn't be happening, but it is. So you shouldn't be panicking but you are and it will go just like last time. 'acceptance'

The other comment is on gagging. Turns out I have an inflammation of the throat and nasal passages that gets worse with fatigue or anxiety that causes me to choke up and gag.
My GP Doc prescribed Fluticasone, a cortisone spray and it stopped the gagging in minutes.  I only need it during periods of anxiety. If I keep the anxiety down it doesn't affect me. I think a calming tea might do something similar. The inflammation would still be there just not as bad.

Tiana, I believe there is a name for that type of exposure, and I have read about it on the net.
The name escapes me though. This jump in the deep end exposure works for some but I think they would have to have very good coping skills.

Davit
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Upsidedown,

You are correct. Finding out your triggers is important. Remember that different ideas and resources will be more or less effective based on each individual person. This session may not ring true with you and Teebs, and that is ok!

So, with respect to the questions about session 7:  Often, once someone is triggered, the 'cure' to prevent some people from going into a full blown panic attack is to moderate the physical symptoms. For some people, the body's reaction to anxiety in turn causes more anxiety. So, one concept is that you expose yourself to the physical sensations that you usually associate with a panic attack and you stay in the situation long enough so your anxiety goes down. By doing panic simulation you’ll teach your body that physical sensations are not that bad and actually cause no harm. This is also an example of CBT when you think about it.

Maybe other members have had experiences with success based on dealing with triggers vs dealing with the physical symptoms...

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm at session 7 and noticed that the person before me on this site didn't receive a response to the posting.  I, too, feel the same way -  it isn't the symptoms, it is the situation.  Isn't it important to get to why the panic attack came on, what set it off ? To understand what the trigger is and get to the beliefs I have formed and eventually get to the bottom of why I formed that belief in the first place?  It also speaks of using a buffer such as a person or object. Well, then, isn't CBT also a buffer?
Eventually, our back is going to be up against the wall, and we will have to face 'it' eventually, if we ever want to get past all of this.
So, fill me in. Perhaps, what might be best fo me are some sessions with my psychiatrist to gain some insight as to what has triggered this at this time and phase in my life. Once I get to that the 'attacks' should subside.

The last time I had a period in my life like this was 6 years ago, when I had to do an intervention for my 17 y/o son by sending him to a lock up facility to try and save his life (too much to go into).  It was a real situation that caused the panic attacks.
My having severe attacks could be traced back to the beginning of my time and what I learned and what was instilled in me by more parents and significant others and the accumulation of events over my life for not having bothered to unravel it sooner.  Atleast, this is what resonates for me.  And what will fit into a few paragraphs.
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am currently working on session 7, and my understanding is the purpose of this type of exposure is to realize that these sensations aren't as bad or scary as they can seen during a panic attack. My worst physical symptom associated with anxiety is the gag feeling that I've posted about before. I've tried several days of simulating this gag feeling as discussed in this session. I haven't started panicking as a result of the simulation, but I still really don't like the sensation, and it's tough for me to get myself to do this practice. 

Another symptom I get with anxiety is a racing heart. With some exercise that I do I also experience a racing heart, but to me this sensation is quite different from the feeling during panic. During exercise an elevated heart rate "makes sense" to me, and so doesn't make me anxious. But if I'm sitting in my car or at a lecture and my heart starts to race, then it bothers me more because my body should be in a calmer state at that time. 

I guess I don't fully understand how this type of exposure is supposed to work, so I'm more skeptical about this session than I have been about the others.
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

If you are just joining us, in order to better help each other on our journey towards wellness we are working through the Panic Centre program together, as a group. If you have already started the program feel free to add your thoughts. You may even decide to review this session for the purpose of this group discussion.
If you are not at Session 7 yet please check back in the forums and find the discussion on the session you are currently working on, add your thoughts and view what others have had to say.

In Lesson 7, you will …
•    Learn more on challenging anxious thoughts & coping with them
•    Introduce Panic Simulation (Interoceptive Exposure)
•    Discuss why we want you to induce your panic symptoms
•    Give you some exercises that will help you induce panic and simulate a panic attack

What panic symptoms do you experience?  Which Panic Simulation exercises did you try? How did it go?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: