Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Session 6 Walkthrough

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jenn

One of the things I harp on continuously to the point I'm sure people are sick of hearing it is the difference between similar words and there effect on us. 
And the most common ones are "have too" and "want too". Have to gets used a lot when a person actually means want to but it in truth has a different meaning. A very different meaning and a very different effect when taken literally especially if you are agoraphobic. Because Agoraphobia really is a fear of not having control, a fear of open places is a  symptom.

So if you "have to" then doing it has control. But if you "want to" (and mean it) you have control. You can do anything if you really want to because you will find a way to have control. But if you have to your mind will fog with all the "what if's" that can happen. I know because that is how I got off the Ativan and out of the house. In fact "want to" is so in grained I seldom have to use it anymore. I just do it. And I've just done things now so often it is normal but"want to" is still there if I need to use it. 

Read, up dates, "want to" works.

Davit
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Forget exposure for now, it is a test not a cure in most people. At least that is how I treat it. 
If you have relaxation and coping skills in place you can then expose yourself to things that used to bother you to see how well you can cope. Otherwise you are just adding to the load. 
The thought behind jumping off the deep end is that you will be rational enough to realize this is all that happens. The thought being that you will get used to the load. In strong type "A" people which for years we have been trying to build it works. Not so for the rest of us. For us it only creates more fear. 
What type you are dictates what you should do.

Davit.

PS you wouldn't take a dish out of the oven without a pot holder, why would you do exposure without protection. No short cuts and no magic bullets, just hard work.
10 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK…am I'm working through this module I can't figure out for the life of me how I'm gonna make this "exposure" work.

I, at the moment, am so wrapped up in my health i cant see straight ( wait….isn't that a symptom of glaucoma ??ha).

How do i expose myself to things that make me panic when its my constant worry about every little flutter of my heart, dizzy spell, low blood pressure that causes my panic????  I can't actually physically go anywhere to expose myself??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I would be participating in more activities with a relaxed attitude and not getting easily tired. I would have more projects to create because I could handle the stress associated with it. When some problem arises I would be challenging my anxious or depressing thoughts so they do not win who I am.

13 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear members,

If you are just joining us, in order to better help each other on our journey towards wellness we are working through the Panic Centre program together, as a group. If you have already started the program feel free to add your thoughts. You may even decide to review this session for the purpose of this group discussion.
If you are not at Session 6 yet please check back in the forums and find the discussion on the Session you are currently working on, add your thoughts and view what others have had to say.
In Session 6, you will learn…
•    About avoidance and the problems associated with it
•    Help you think about your treatment goals and exposure homework in a new light
•    Review some new information about avoidance

What would you be doing if your exposure work was successful? How would your life be different?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: