Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Shutting Down

18 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Boy taking that first step of making my introduction post has me on a roll. I have a question for everyone or anyone. For many years, I have had a problem with just shutting down. I have actually fallen asleep standing on my feet. When my husband was still alive he used to joke with me about it. But sometimes it would make him angry too. Mainly out of concern. There is one instance where I was at the sink doing dishes and I literally fell asleep just standing there with my hands in the dishwater. There have been several times that I sat down to eat a meal and fell asleep while I was eating. (with food in my mouth) I have even fell asleep right here in front of my computer. It's like my body just shuts off. I've have addressed this with my physician. He did tell me that this IS NOT 'Narcolepsy' He told me when I start feeling sleepy to move around, go for a walk, do something active. I tried some of these suggestion. It does make sense that you can't fall asleep while your walking. But when my body decides to shut down, it just SHUTS DOWN. Before I was disabled with all of this, panic attacks - agoraphobia - severe depression - anxiety attacks, I was working as a manager of a very busy store for many years. I had to manage many employees, do allot of paper work and handled very large amounts of money. I started shutting down at work. My employees found me asleep at my desk in my office on several occasions. I had even shut down while I was on the phone with my boss one time. Now that I am disabled, I'm at home all the time. I try to stay busy throughout the day, but I still find myself just 'SHUTTING DOWN'. I guess what I'm asking is: Does anyone else have this problem & if so how do you deal with it? Is this part of having sever depression?

Reading this thread: