Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

Avoidance

8 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Being crippled super store would have been harder for me, but this is a case again of not being physically able. But although I could hobble my way around a family gathering I still wouldn't go because those things don't interest me. I've never gone to a reunion of any kind. They don't interest me. It is okay to be different.

Davit
8 years ago 0 111 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I may not have gone to the family event, but yesterday I did go to a Superstore. I was anxious but I did okay :) 

I am going to aim to go out of the house and go somewhere once per day.
How we perceive things is more important than how they sound. Anything can be made into something it isn't and vice versa.

Davit
Thank you Davit and in1peace.

The support means a lot.
8 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is powerful, Davit! I need to print that and post it on my bathroom mirror to read over and over! Catherine, I have some things I'm avoiding and feel guilty about as well. I need to search deeper....Hope we both figure it out!!
Catherine. 

It is already becoming the past and you can not change the past but you can change how you use it. If you could have gone you would have. This does not mean in future you won't. Avoidance is a tricky word because avoidance is only avoidance if you did it because you wanted to otherwise it is incapability. There can be no guilt attached to incapability. Frustration and anger yes but guilt does not belong. Are there logical reasons you could not go, those you need to work on. Any others don't count and these include "I can't because I never can". 
When ever there is something you can't do there is always a core belief behind it.

Davit
There is a family event today in my husband's family. I avoided and did not go. Hubby just left with the kiddo and despite him being super nice about me staying home, I feel guilty. 

I know that with anxiety (GAD and/or Panic Disorder) avoiding is bad. It helps maintain anxiety. 

But I avoided anyway. Now I feel guilty and ashamed. I feel like I let my loved ones down and let myself down as well. 

So now, instead of spending a nice afternoon and evening doing fun stuff, I am here feeling guilty and anxious... 

Reading this thread: