Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,483 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA

Isolation is magnified

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

I worked for a guy that said if he wrote something down then he never forgot it and didn't need the list. 

I have an advantage over you, my time is my time. It wasn't always so but I find that a person has to still find me time in there somewhere. 

It is a fact that we are hard on the ones we love by wanting them to benefit from our experience and it sometimes comes off as critical when it was not meant to be. Also when we are comfortable with some one we often notice things without commenting on them, especially if they are routine. But it is nice to know with a word or two that we are noticed. I'm pretty guilty of looking like I'm ignoring people when I'm not, the same with sounding critical when I don't mean to be.

Something that helps is trying to see things through their eyes. 

There is nothing wrong with being regimented if it works for you. The only time lists are a problem if you let them rule you, if you worry because you didn't manage to fit it all in. The rule is aim high but be satisfied with what you get, tomorrow is another day. This is balance. Work hard but find time to relax, this is balance. But the hardest one is that I am not the only one in this space. Well I am but that is different now. And it was of my making but unintentional.

Davit.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,
I am regimented, but intentionally to make up for the lack of balance, and my wandering mind, uneasiness.  There are too many things that "need" to get done with timelines, like monitoring mom's meds, medical appointments.

I do try to get out every 3 days, but it ended up being 4 days to the gym for an hour.  I don't have that "me" to restore equilibrium.  It's important to do this, since I noticed I was really stressed today, after waiting 4 days to work out.  One  good thing is I'm taking tai chi tomorrow, but that's an experiment.

Without balance, I can't respond well.  As I returned from the gym as I exited the car. I was defensive too, as I spoke to mom since I was annoyed that she didn't notice I left, by asking if I needed permission, but sometimes she is possessive.

I'm annoyed since I didn't get a response from an instructor on whether his course is running, and it filled up with one spot left.  It's probably just as well, since I don't wish to add to my stress load, since it appears I haven't found the equilibrium I need to be okay.

I was told once by a trainer, in a job I eventually had to move from, that I couldn't write everything down.  I'm aware I'm trying to simplify things by having lists and spreadsheets, but today I couldn't find form for something.  As I plan to walk to the library, I'm aware of the past when I used to rush to the library at the last half an hour, especially near holidays, since I had little to console me except a book of information of some sort.

Remind me to restore that balance, Davit.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm very curious about something and you don't have to answer. Is your life as regimented as you sound? Do you ever break away and just do something spontaneous like detour for ice cream or just pull over and go for a walk? Or how about just get a cup of tea and do nothing for a bit? Is there no unplanned Me time? 

It is just me I guess, but living by a plan is to rigid and causes me stress. Maybe I'm too laid back but everything does get done, some times a day late or two but it does get done and I don't feel pressured. Life is not a job, it is supposed to be fun. When I end up in an old folks home with my cup of tea looking out a widow I want to remember that I did what I wanted before what I had to. (there are those two words again)

Davit
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Taking my parent to a physiotherapist showed me how isolated I felt.  I did map out the route, and felt good about that, and took a bath in the morning, so that might have made me feel better.

It concerns me that I'm getting something out of something so routine, so maybe I could plan some outings...

Reading this thread: