Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,488 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Not Firing on All 4 Cylinders

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs!

I like that phrase - I haven't heard it before!  
What are things you could do to help ground yourself?  In other words, how can you get out of your head and listen more to what may be going on in your body or in your heart?  (that is, until you find some Ferrari breaks ~lol!)

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red1,

You are so right.  It's important for us to stay connected in person for our health and well-being.
You mentioned several great ways to prevent feeling isolated and lonely.  I know it can be challenging to motivate yourself to get out of the house and meet new people or socialize.  How did you take those first steps?  

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red,
I hope you're feeling better, as your surgery date draws near.  I feel some guilt since you've mentioned these coping strategies, as have others in the past.

My overactive brain, coupled with the availability of the internet, gives me too much freedom to avoid the focus daily living needs.  Now I understand the term "ferrari brain with chevy brakes", since I can't stop processing. 

I read about a journalist who retired recently from a job which demanded a 24/7 presence, and his physician finally challenged his inability to handle the stress at his advanced age, so outside forces, age may also be a factor.

So where can get a Ferrari brake replacement
12 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was a caregiver for many years and very isolated. After My husband passed away I had to find places to go to where I could interact with others..When I would get to feeling isolated and like I needed to be around people in the flesh meaning not on a multimedia source.I wasn't online at the time anyway..I would sometimes go to the mall and walk and take in a movie at the theater they had there. I struck up a conversation with a veteran one day while walking at the mall. He was in a wheelchair and I was on foot. We got to talking and decided to go to a movie together while we were there that day..I also used to go to a buffet type restaurant by myself and take something along to read..There were many others at the restaurant just like me who went there by themselves, after a while we all kind of got to know each other and would exchange hello's with each other..Another place I liked to go was the bookstore Barnes and noble, they have a coffee shop there and I could sit and read and be around other people, sometimes we talked to each other sometimes we just sat and read..It gave me a place to interact with others and it was very peaceful..Coffee houses or places like Starbucks were good places to go as was the zoo and the park or walking at the lake..These are some the places I still go to if I want to be around others for while..Just something I do to stay connected to the outside world in a physical way...

Red...
Hi Ashley,
Better.  Today's challenge was that my word processor went funny.

We have to go to a surgeon, and I couldn't type out the questions, since the font is so tiny I can't read it.  I resolved this by increasing it to 72(that's like six times!) temporarily.

Our soya milk has to be discarded, since it curdling after I threw the cartons in the freezer anticipating food spoilage, but I resolved that since the company understood that there's no disclaimer, just as publci relations too.

I wish I could have followed the "dispute" thread, but I am barely together this morning, and a nosy sibling is tagging along  As I shaved, I wondered how I've fallen apart?  Once I was a productive working adult, and I feel in "bits and pieces".  I felt the same way when I passed a formal function, near our gym exit, which is part of a large complex including a ballroom.  I'm not sure I believe I can return to normal, as I walked out in my frumpy clothes, with those unglued soles...good news is I bought new orthotics, so I'll add buying shoes to my list "to do"

The reality of the doc's visit will settle in once we walk into the office building in a couple of hours, and I feel selfish since it's mom's issue...it's like Arthur Ashe used to say...I'm doing the best I can with what I know, when I know more I'll do better
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How are you feeling today?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ashley,
I have to admit that I still feel shaken, and am not just no myself....
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

Having fear and stress is sometimes a normal reaction to events. Having fear after a windstorm sounds like a normal reaction to me but if you think your fear might not be productive then use the ten questions to challenge the fear.

Sounds like you handled the situation very well though!

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Carmie,
I'm going to get some exercise, since I could benefit from decompressing.  I noticed I have all these competing interests, and was doing well, then I had bronchitus before Easter.

It must have been that prayer by Sir F Bacon "Disturb Me"...be careful what you wish for!

I also feel so isolated, and it's good to hear from someone, but, don't take this personally, i need to get out to have visceral experience of being alive...and we're having a beautiful day.

Mom was out in the barren garden, and I'm going to send some pics to her sis in Europe...it takes me so much time to get going
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs, I've been frightened after washing my face before so it seems natural that something like a severe windstorm would have a longer-lasting impacts  I hope that you'll soon be able to breathe that beautiful sigh of relief that usually indicates to me that I've left the panic cycle. 

Reading this thread: