Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Lynn123

2024-03-18 10:20 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-17 1:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 6:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Myth or Fact

2024-02-23 3:25 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 1 1

Most Loved

Browse through 411.740 posts in 47.052 threads.

160,396 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GRHODA MAUI MARIE, Enordin, IRN, MNICOLE, AYNA NICOLE

The Return of the Panic Attack

12 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am looking into upgrading now in Special Needs Studies. That would mean studying part time through distance education. I just hope I can ignore the current work conditions, maybe don't take so much personally? I tend to be an all or nothing type of person so I guess what I need to do is relax and slowly start learning to not feel the need to control everything. 

Thanks
Sunflower
12 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don't mind the work?  How could you move from not minding the work to feeling passionate about it?

I think it is important to carefully way your choices with this potential career move but make sure you make choices that are right for you; the most fufilling and resonant.  Don't base choices on past mistakes, fear, or self doubt and you will be moving in the right direction.

Ashley, Health Educator
It's just what I have done in the past. I run when I feel out of control etc. I don't mind the actual work with the children either so it may be just my environment.
So what about what you said made you feel like you would be"running away"?

Ashley, Health Educator
I think for my sister I have done a lot so I think I can just change the subject or just tell her to do the courses I suggested. She keeps on blaming the weather etc for her symptoms. I think she is having a hard time admitting that she has a mental health issue. Everyone in my family has one form or another so it isn't surprising.

As for my job, I have lost a lot of patience and passion for it. It is time for a change since I am getting so stressed out every time I work. Basically it is a family drop in centre that was supposed to be community oriented, but people just use it as free daycare for their kids that they don't want to look after. They are taking advantage of the service and are taking their kids in even when they are sick and should be at home. Our staff keeps getting sick because of it and we are so full of kids that it is getting too much for all of us to handle. I have spoken to one co-worker and she is training to, to get out of the industry because of stress.  

Sunflower.
How will you ensure you keep a safer distance? What are some concrete things you will do or not do?

You make a very good point regarding your career choice. You mention you have to find out if you are leaving your job for the right reasons. In your opinion, what are the right reasons?

Ashley, Health Educator
I think my attacks were triggered by my sister's attacks. It made me wonder about symptoms etc. I think I need to keep a safer distance when it comes to my sisters issues while still being there for her.

I have not spoken to a counselor about social working. I probably should. I am sort of trying to figure out if I am running away from my current job to university where I won't have to work at a paid job. I am not worried about school work at all.

On the other hand I am excited about going to school. I like the idea of training so I can help other people. I also love the idea of getting away from my current situation.

I have to take time to make sure I am changing careers for the right reasons.

Sunflower
Hi Sunflowerpower,

I am sorry your panic attacks have returned. What do you think might have triggered this? What learning can you pull away from this? Review the program and continue to post you will get through this and we will be here to listen until then.

Have you thought about talking to a career counselor? They will have resourses and suggestions to help you think about degree or possible career change if that is what is important to you. Social work can be a stressful positive but it can also be very rewarding. Explore all your options before making a choice. What do you find exciting about deciding on a new career path?

Ashley, Health Educator
I haven't really had any panic attacks for many years. I do have anxiety attacks which are expected and predictable.

Sadly my panic attacks have returned. I am so disappointed. My sister has them every day and so maybe I subconsciously got them too? She calls me so much during the day and tells me all about them and asks me for help. It is such a struggle. I seem to give great advice to her that works but I seem unable to do the same for myself.

On the plus side I have found a few short courses online for depression. www.llttf.com/ 

It is a really good site. 

I am also struggling with an overly stressful job. I am thinking of returning to university to upgrade and finish a degree. I have always been interested in helping other people so I am pondering social work but I am conflicted. Social work is stressful so I don't know if I can cope.

Basically, I am flip flopping between hope and despair.

Sunflower

Reading this thread: