Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

School

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PayNicole

You have to have coping skills in place first. Distractions and relaxation techniques and a safe escape first before doing exposure. Exposure is a test of your ability to cope. If you have no coping skills in place all you get is panic or at best a temporary tolerance for your trigger. The latter means that you will never cure the anxiety you will just lessen it with tolerance. A good day will be good and a bad day will be horrible because you will have no way to cope. Very few can do this all or nothing type of exposure. You have to be a pretty strong person to jump in with both feet and stay till you get used to it.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've tried different methods of gradually exposing myself, but each one seems to just lead to another panic attack. 
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nicole -
I'm also really sorry to know that you had that experience.  I think that the tools available to you here will really help.  After my first panic attack, my greatest fear was having another, too.  The site and this community will help you to unlearn this fear.  Keep in touch - we are here to support you and to congratulate you on your progress, which will happen!
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi PayNicole,

Sorry you had that sudden and scary experience at school.  
What do you think triggered it?  Is there anything you can do, like gradual exposure work, to prepare yourself before going to this new school?  Have you had any other panic attacks in the past?

Take some time to go through the learning resources in the Toolbox section - start with The Panic Program.
It will help you understand and challenge your negative thoughts which can help diffuse feelings of panic.

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was going to my first year of college and ended up leaving the next day after I moved in doing to a MAJOR panic attack. I was able to avoid fees and acquire a medical deferment but I can't go back to the school. Now I have applied to a new school but I still have those anxious feelings and am terrified of having another panic attack. 

Reading this thread: