Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Setback Today

21 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Luke and Everyone. You seem to be getting some good advice all around concerning methods to help you deal with your panic attacks. Yoga is great, and of course, so are breathing exercises. But you might like to check out the MediStudy web site that lists a clinical trial for a medication that might prevent relapse of panic attacks. http://www.medistudy.com/clinical_trials/search/detailed_results.cfm?trialID=10123&locationID=1038 You mentioned having been on Xanax before and now that you are no longer taking it, that the attacks are manifesting themselves again. Perhaps this reseach study can help. Good luck! Verbena
21 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, all. I have found that if I am in a situation, whether Church, shopping, out for dinner, and feel an attack coming on, I just excuse myself and go outside and take in some deep breathing in the fresh air. That helps me so I can cope with the rest of the day or evening. When my attacks start, they always start with a tingling in my feet and gradually work up my body and into the attack. As soon as I feel this in my feet I usually take some Xanax, or get some frsh air and do my breathing. Seems to help. Why the tingling in my feet is always the sign of one coming on, I will never know why. Maybe sensitive feet? Anyone else experience this?***LUV SUZY.
Sarah...I don't know how you feel, but after just reading your post replys..my goodness, bombarded with questions...I think you were trying to say that you had a bad day, depressed and maybe an anxiety attack. You mentioned that you tried to excercise to distract yourself from them and that's what you have to do. Concentration on something other than how you are feeling at the moment will get you thru it, but does not have to be strenuous. Playing a game on the computer, going outside and counting stars, clouds, anything to make concentrate really hard..gets you thru the bad feelings. If that doesn't work, I'll keep repeating myself and 'call the crisis line'. They are excellant at talking you thru these things and are proffessionals at this king of thing. They sure savied me the day I took my full blown attack and was alone in the house. I was about to go screaming down the street, but grabbed the phone instead. It saved my life that day. So don't feel bead about calling them That's what they're there for. And for talking about it, and needing contact, post here and someone will respond. Contact is the key to getting thru these things. We're all there, and all willing to help each other. Keep posting. LUV, SUZY. ;)
Kim...I haven't posted to you for awhile 'cause I thought you were unhappy with my posts for some reason. I would really like to be able to talk with you and share our problems, but only if you wnat me to. I miss your posts, escpecially in the smoking ones, but would like to post with you more here too. Would that be a problem for you? LUV, SUZY. :(
21 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Luke. I know how you feel. I am a pretty religious person as well. ( dont wanna be preachy either ) I feel that church should be a place of comfort, not fear. God know's what we're going through, and I tell myself that there has to be a reason, even if we don't know what it is. I have had a few mini-panics in church before. It's not a good feeling. I just tried my best to concentrate. I keep active. If you keep your mind occupied, (u may have to force yourself) then you will have less time to think about your panic and fear. I have only struggled with panic for 4 months. The Anxiety has always been there though. These last four months feel like a decade at least. I've taken up Yoga, it's helped me a lot. I just wanted to let you knwo I'm here. Your SO not alone. I know that is a very comforting thing tohear.. Odd. Hang in there. Sasha :)
21 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Luke, I just heard about a new kind of therapy, which may not be for everyone, but you may be interested in learning more about. Its called Theophilisophical (or something). Basically, the therapist will try to learn how your fears originated, and what causes them now. Then, they will help you learn how God can help you find truth in the situation, and lend you a new perspective and allow you to react differently to the environment you find yourself in. These are really the only details i have, and i might be off on some of them, but i'll let you know if i learn more about it.
21 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Luke... I'm a pretty new member to this forum.. and I don't really know what to say to you about this just now.. I just wanted you to know I was here, read your posting and am sorry to hear you had a tough morning. Lady
21 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am off xanax now and have been trying to deal with panic attacks on my own. I was in church this morning and could not relax. I was having little panic attacks, skin tingling, short of breath and fear. I was feeling so light headed and nauseous I had to leave after 30 minutes. I used to not have a problem at all with medication. I have always been religious (not trying to get preachy), but I used to avoid church because I didn't want to have a panic attack. Therapy doesn€™t seem to work after about 6 visits. I am trying to face my fears, but they are kicking my butt. I am exhausted and worn out. I know it€™s not a positive attitude, but the panic experience is getting the best of me. It controls me so much. Luke
21 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey THANK YOU! I'll try anything.. I even went to the health food store today and spent 100$ on some herbal stuff.. no idea.. but different oils and vitamins to take to help with anxiety, depression, panic, etc etc.. and also a bottle of anti oxidant, that HAS to work, cuz it cost 39$ for a bottle of 60.. prolly send me to the toilet for days...!! lol So..anyways tonight I am okay, except that i should have gone to bed hours ago... I HATE THAT PART THE WORST about all this.. I NEED SLEEP!!! Beth.. do you have trouble sleeping? I am off meds since 3:00 am this morning when I walked downstairs to the car to retreive my last pill.. DONE - Thanks for listening.
21 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kim, I've been there. It does get better, i promise. I know how scared you must be. Are you by yourself, or do you live with others? It just takes baby steps. I don't know whether anyone else has tried this, but it worked for me with minor anxiety/panic attacks. Wear a rubber band around your wrist, and when you feel an attack coming on, pull it and snap it against your wrist! This generally gets blood flowing elsewhere, other than your head (I get really dizzy and lightheaded when i have panic attacks). It also gets adrenaline going. Overall, its just a distraction. Anyways, thought it would be worth a shot!

Reading this thread: