Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Curious again

22 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sara What you are saying makes complete sense to me. When I challenge my anxiety and I still panic I get disappointed in myself and feel like a failure. I get discouraged and I don't want to try anymore. That is what I call a setback.
22 years ago 0 198 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Sara, I read your post over and over. I got so many feelings from your words. My first feeling was I wish I knew you, you sound like such a sensitive, loving person. Second feeling was one of compassion. Not only for you, but for all of us who suffer from this seemingly uncontrolable disorder. Third feeling was anger. Anger at the disorder itself. After dealing with it for so many years, reading and hearing about other peoples' struggles with it, I ended up with a discouraged 'feeling'. However, nothing will ever stop me from fighting it. I want you to know that I have 'freaked out' in front of many different people, friends and strangers. And, the ones who put their arms around me or held my hand with compassion and understanding and maybe even love, I consider my real friends, and people with love in their hearts. The people that chose to 'not' understand and run in fear, so to speak (thinking something was 'wrong' with me) are missing a very important componant in their lives, and that is 'genuine concern' for their fellow human beings. I will not allow anyone's reaction to my panic attacks or agoraphobia to stand in the way of me trying to be the best person I can be. I will not allow their misunderstanding of my 'issues' to hurt me, to make me feel any less of a person. I know who I am in my heart and soul, and that person is good. I have learned to love myself despite my shortcomings & strange ways. I love to write poetry, and, do a pretty good job of it. Have you ever tried to journal your feelings? Bye for now, Maria
22 years ago 0 173 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sara & Maria - your posts remind me of this quote: [quote] "Confidence doesn't come out of nowhere. It is a result of something...hours and days and weeks and years of constant work and dedication" [/quote] _ _ Roger Staubach
22 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I'm not sure what "stage" of panic attacks I am in at all. I guess that is what I should ask my doctor about. For me, it's not before I go to see my friends. I always tell myself that it will be good before I leave the house. It is only when I'm with them in public that I start to feel panicky. When that happens, I feel really disaspointed and down with myself because what I promised would not happen actually happens. This makes me grumpy and not the best person to be around. Then I feel really bad becuase I'm not the person I should be. I don't know if this makes any sense but it makes me not want to go out anymore. P.S. - I also think that there's lots of good people on this board already. Actually, just typing this out makes me feel better.
Dear Anne-Marie, A setback for me is when I sit back and find myself not working on my panic strategies. Just giving in to the fear, staying home more and more - and not fighting! I feel so much better about myself, regarding my panic attacks, when I do things like this, talking to others, reaching out - reading more about this panic thing - I know I need to go the doctor for an echo for my MVP - I feel it is a 'setback' when I am not right on top of my panic disorder and let it take me over! I must fight! Bye for now, Maria
Hi Sara, glad to meet you, I think you will find the 'group' a real asset in evaluating your progress, setbacks, triumphs, etc, as you deal with your issues. Sounds like you have panic attacks - I know the 'beast' well. If you navigate this site and read many of the posts, you will find out many many people have panic attacks - also, you will see how people cope with them, their different strategies, etc. To speak about your not being able to spend time with your friends - I can relate. I cannot tell you how many times I have been looking forward to going someplace with someone (even going to work, essential things have had to be put on the back burner because of a panic attack) - and, at the last minute, the panic starts and I have to make some excuse, and end up sitting at home - afraid to go out because I don't want to have a episode in front of anyone - it is incredibly embarrassing - so, what stage of panic attacks would you say you are at. The good news is, it won't kill you. It is just such a terrifying happening to say the least. How are you dealing with it? Bye for now, Maria P.S. Glad you found this site, you will meet alot of really nice people in this group. There is nothing you can say that will surprise any of us - we know what you are going through. Using this as a tool, like being in group, you may find comforting.
22 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I am new here - I got here from reading on the smoking site. NOt used to these groups. Setbacks for me are not doing the things I want to do. Like not being able to spend good times with friends becuase I'm worried that I will think of something and my heart will start racing. It puts a damper on things. Sara
22 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi. When I read of setbacks, I'm curious as to how you interpret this word 'setback'. Thanks in advance for your replies. -- Anne-Marie, Site Administrator

Reading this thread: