Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

What have you learned?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.759 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,772 Members

Please welcome our newest members: A_Cyclist, Cecilia_EH, MereM, browcari, Cas151

need some advice please

21 years ago 0 198 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for sharing your story. It hit home with me. I saw a large portion of my family in a different light many years ago when my son and I were going through a very hard time after my Mother died. They really turned on me...and on it goes to this day. I opted to go for 'me surviving' instead of writhing in the family 'stuff'. I agree with the cyber communication comments. Keeping a safe distance from family members that can hurt you emotionally, is a good thing. But, to 'divorce' them completely could prove in the end, regretful. Maria
21 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there. I imagine this isnt good advice, but I tend to lean toward family is family... my family is pretty dysfunctional also, and I have found that keeping a cyber relationship with them works alot better for me than one where I see them alot. I can email them or they can email me...I enjoy them alot more that way. I dont know how dysfunctional your family is, but if they arent toxic then I would think it is worth a try to just keep a safe distance but to also keep in touch.
21 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi i have been working the program for little over 2 months anyhow this may come as a surprise but my family is disfunctional they gossip lie etc...which i never saw until i have been getting better my immediate family is great mom dad bro kids hubby just the other part aunts cousins uncles etc.. anyhow i sort of broke ties though a fight they started with my mom at a wedding everyone was drunk anyhow we sortof lost touch for about 8 months well i was getting better and better and then my uncle called so i talked well obvious found out nothing changed all is the same there but thing being since i have changed my thoughts and my life i have been living by the rule is what i say or doing going to make someone happy or hurtful /i also try to live by the rule if you are angry at someone they hold power over you and today when he was gossiping i kinda went backwards with all i have worked for i didnt even have an attack for a good 3 weeks and today i am having one So heres my question now seeing the harm they have caused and all the other nonesense should i just make amends and go back into the family that has hurt me and backstabbed me and my kids and mom numerous times or should i keep on the way i was honestly i was happier but then they are FAMILY as my uncle says anyone else ever have this dilemma ?if they were only friend i wouldnt have a prob but it is family please give me insight thank you :confuse:

Reading this thread: