Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Feeling overwhelmed at work

6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I have been doing more self care and I find I can handle things better than when I wasn't taking care of myself. My examples of self care are: going to bed at a reasonable hour, enjoying my hobbies, taking breaks from the kids, exercise class, cooking, talking about my anxiety with family members, mentioning it in conversations with others at work. Especially when I feel overwhelmed with the kids, I just tell them. "Mommy is having a hard time right now and needs everyone to be quiet for a couple minutes. Let's do a quiet activity", or "I need your help right now because I'm not feeling good and it would help me if you did this...". I still have those moments where I get overloaded but I recognize the before symptoms better since it's less often it happens. I hope that helps Starla W.

6 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks. This sounds like it might work for me. I am so much better at running through these things with my son or my daycare kids. I forget to use them on myself a lot. I feel like I always have to fight my way through the panic. But to relax into it and know that it will pass might be a better approach. Less overwhelming because the focus is on acceptance and not on fighting against it.
6 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know that a job can be overwhelming, especially if your job involes you running around with some little munchkins. However, remembering that panic attacks can not and i do mean CAN NOT cause you to have a heart attack due to increased blood pressure during a panic, can not cause you to go crazy because since you are aware that you are going through panic means that you aren't crazy because you realize whats going on. You can not faint because of increased blood pressure. Fainting is caused by a decrease in blood pressure, panic causes an increase in blood pressure. Dr. Dave Carbonell, he has a book called "Panic Attacks Workbook" like $15 on Amazon, that has helped a lot with me. He explains to use AWARE technique during the beginning or during the worst part of a panic attack. With this you learn that you can can get through an attack and stop it, which leads us to become less afraid of the next one since we know we can handle them when they come up, which eventually leads us to forgetting about having them and overcoming panic disorder and agoraphobia. 
A- Accept. Accept that you are having an attack and let the feelings soar through your body. Accepting the attack instead of running or fighting it can help in the log run. 
W- Wait and Watch. Look at what is happening and think about what you are feeling.
A- Actions. Do actions to make you more comfortable. ( Belly Breathing is helping me)
R- Repeat. Repeat the above steps until panic fades away. 
End- Realize that all panic attacks end reguardless of what you do or if you do not do anything. They always end.
Find comfort in knowing that they will end. 

6 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maybe there are others who can support you, by relating their experiences? I don't know how you do it, but many others are providing care professionally, in large grocery chains, and fitness clubs, in institutions. My mental health and physical health are primary, and I had to leave work eventually to care for my ailing parent, but not everyone can make transitions imposed by circumstances. Burnout is common with caregivers, and it sounds like this could be a road which is avoided with courage...
6 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I run a home daycare part-time. I used to love my job but lately I am finding it more than I can handle. The kids are all around 2-3 years old and in that stage where they are testing boundaries. I find myself repeating myself over and over again, getting more stressed each time and then I start worrying that I will be too mean and lose my temper with them. Eventually I have to 'take a break' in the bathroom for a bit to calm down and reset before I completely freak out in a panic attack, a meltdown or an angry rant.

Reading this thread: