Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Anxiety impacting work

8 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome,

It sounds like you have some cognitive distortions and core beliefs that need challenging. Good news is these thoughts can be changed within a few months and you should start to be feeling better soon. There are elements of this program that can help but you will also want to check out the depression center www.depressioncenter.net for more info on core beliefs and cognitive distortions. You will be challenging thoughts like, "I am the worst employee ever" Can you think of reasons why this statement isn't true now?

The premise being Cognitive behaviour Therapy (CBT - what this program is based on) is that if you can change your thoughts you can change how you feel. It make seem hard at first but research proves that is actually works. So get started on the programs and work on exercises that seem to fit with what you are experiencing. Also, try not to avoid anymore. Avoiding actually reinforces the fear and our negative beliefs associated with it. The more you avoid the more fearful you will become.

Keep us updated on how you are doing and what is working. I look forward to reading more from you.

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your reply, Davit. 
I am quite young, just one year of work under my belt after seven years of training. I am working with a 'guru' in my field and am regularly very intimidated. 
I suspect you are right, that this comes from low self esteem, rather than shyness. I will take advantage of the resources on challenging core beliefs. 

Thanks again for your response, and for pointing me in the direction of some solutions. 
8 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think the difference is that you are being paid for work so perfectionism makes you feel bad if it isn't perfect.  So you have some core beliefs around not being good enough. Well those are common. So I'd say low self esteem more than shy after all you have no trouble with social things.

Look up propranolol or talk to your doctor about it. 

Are you as young as your post suggests? Is that a source of intimidation? Most common age for anxiety is around 25.

Davit
8 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there, 

I need some advice. My anxiety is getting in the way of me working. I am quite social and comfortable with my colleagues, but very shy around my bosses. It is to the point where I avoid working on projects, and submitting work they have assigned to me because of fear of judgement. I am positive they will find out that I am the worst employee and that I am a huge burden to them. It will be humiliating. 

I am unsure how to approach this in order to improve. Is it shyness? Is it low confidence? . Can I put on a persona of someone else who is better at their job and fake it till I make it? I'm starting to miss work. One day a week. It feels like stage fright or agoraphobia and I want to avoid situations at work that stress me out. 

Any suggestions?

Reading this thread: