Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Coping in situation where you cannot run

9 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome mlukot01,

That sounds scary and frustrating. These fears can be controlled but it will take quite a bit of hard work. This fear is not your fault unfortuantely though you will have to put some work in if you want to gain control of it.  It can be done. The program and all of us here in the support group are here to help. When you get a chance get started on the program. Let us know if you have any questions.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome miukot01

Hi. that is not how to treat Agoraphobia. That is side stepping. You are treating it like it is not there or to be avoided.
That just leaves it to get you some time later. 
Accept it is there. Accept the trigger and accept that it is you that is giving it control. Take back control. All actions and thoughts have a negative or positive view. They are only triggers, and as harmless as you make them. Or!!!!! as harmful. Can you see this. It is not the trigger you need to change with the distraction although at first that is a necessary part of coping, but to take it past that point, to make your reaction null. There are common thought words we use that are similar but their meaning although similar cause different reactions. The most common ones associated with Agoraphobia are. "have to" and "want to". It is such a little thing with so much power. 
If you "have to" then the action or situation has power till it is over and even if you block it with distractions it still has control. Yet if you "want to" then it just becomes something you are doing and no matter the outcome you are in control. At first you may still need the distraction because you are conditioned so but this will fade as you realize you can be in control if you "want to be". Two problems with this. You have to really want to. And be assertive about it, and you have to really believe. It can't work if you keep overriding it with thoughts of "have to".
If it is a personality problem you have to work on it, learning to be more assertive starting with yourself. After all it is you that has lost the "control" and is letting it happen.
Agoraphobia is not a fear of open places, that is a symptom. It is a fear of not having control. Fainting is a way of side stepping the situation rather than deal with it. This can be fixed with practice starting with an "i want to" mantra that not only works as a distraction but as a positive reinforcement. As far as I know it is the only cure for agoraphobia other than medication which dulls the "have to" reaction. (and leaves it open to next time). As for why you have agoraphobia, the reasons are numerous and you will have to figure that out.

Davit
9 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there everyone!
Hoping to get some ideas as to how you cope in situations where you cannot run away from your panic?
My biggest one is a job interview or being in the chair of a hairdresser...I have fainted couple of times during my panic attacks which doesn't help too! The more restrained I feel - the more I become anxious...
It helps to keep my mind busy with a game on the phone (if at the hairdresser) but I feel like a little demon deep inside my mind still thinking wrong thoughts which sets me off and I get all dizzy and faint at times...

Reading this thread: