Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Lynn123

2024-03-18 10:20 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-17 1:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 6:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Myth or Fact

2024-02-23 3:25 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 1 1

Most Loved

Browse through 411.740 posts in 47.052 threads.

160,396 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GRHODA MAUI MARIE, Enordin, IRN, MNICOLE, AYNA NICOLE

New Job Jitters

10 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wasn't able to respond earlier because I wasn't able to load the site :)

Everything went well. I remembered to breathe, just stayed positive, kept myself busy. Luckily I was also able to adjust my shift so I only work school hours. I was doing the early morning program but I don't like being alone in a horrible neighbourhood at 7am. Thankfully there was another person who could take it over. Now I work 845-330 mon-fri. I feel good about it. I know I did really well. It was such a huge step for me.

On a side note my husband, daughter and I witnessed an arson while walking our dog. We called the fire dept etc. I realized that I recognized the kids who set it and now I am worried about retaliation. But, sometimes you have to do the right thing. I am afraid they will do something to us. 

Sunflower
10 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunflower Painter,

I see quite a few days have passed since you wrote this post. How are things today?

Ashley, Health Educator
I sort of had my first day today. Sort of, because I was told to come for a staff meeting meanwhile it was an all day thing. I had to rush home to get food for lunch which was kind of hectic.

I was thrown a huge curve ball. When I accepted the position I was told I would be working the morning program and then assisting in 2 different classes. I had no idea that I would be running the morning program. I had no idea. In fact the person who was hired to the after school program had no idea she was going to be all alone either!! I did not sign on to run a program. I am in such a terror right now. I don't think I have the skills to do it.

I am breaking out in a sweat, my chest hurts. I have been having panic attacks one right after the other all day. I don't know how to get through this. 

I am trying to use the methods but they aren't working. This isn't fair. I wasn't told. I spoke to the principal and told her my concerns. She said there is no back up person if I can't make it. She is going to try to find another person to do it but who knows when that is going to happen. What happens if I get sick? I will be working in a school! Germs!

I am sick with worry, panic, and disappointment.

I am so sad. 

Sunflower
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunflower, 
I'm sorry to hear you are feeling so much anxiety.  It sounds like you have a great new work opportunity.  It's understandable to be anxious when you are starting in a new environment with a new routine.  
How can you change your perspective of this new opportunity?  What aspects are you looking forward too?  

Whenever you find your mind wandering, worrying and feeling anxious about things, take time to do the deep breathing techniques.  Work on the program to challenge negative thoughts and acknowledge what are illogical thoughts.    
Know that it is normal to make mistakes!  It is part of the learning process.  
I hope you enjoy your new job - please let us know how you're doing tomorrow.

Here for you,
Vincenza, Health Educator
I am going to my first staff meeting tomorrow at my new job to meet the staff. I am afraid. Terrified. I am a bunch of nerves, a mix of emotions.

I am working 7-330 at a school as the morning care person from 7-845 and then as a teaching assistant 9-330. I am afraid about starting so early but in a way it is good because I won't have time to have the morning worries. I am also happy about it because I am finished at 330. I am just so panicky. I am afraid I won't be able to cope.

I am afraid that I won't be able to do the job, or that people will be mean to me. I am so afraid of being mistreated. I am also afraid of making mistakes. I just want to be normal.

I do realize that in order to get over this panic I have to do this job. I know the only way to get over it is to go through it. It stinks though. A lot.

My job is at a catholic school, I was raised catholic but don't really consider myself a catholic now. During the interview that asked if I was comfortable with catholicism and I said I was raised catholic. I also mentioned that I was going to start attending a local catholic church. Which I was at the time. Now, 2 months later I am not really thrilled with the catholic church that I went to. So I am afraid that since I am not actually attending it will look bad. Though, you didn't have to be catholic to do the job, just comfortable with it. It was an open job posting and a friend of mine even applied even though she wasn't catholic. I am probably making a mountain out of a mole hill. It's funny, my friend said "What's the difference if you are a catholic or not, isn't it all the same?" She is so calm and just doesn't care about what everyone else thinks. I think I need to take a page from her book.

All these silly little worries creep up. I am worried also for my daughter who starts grade 7 at a new school, luckily with all her friends who are all in the same classes etc, on the same day as I start my job. I hope she can handle it. I am afraid for her. But then again, school was a nightmare for me. My husband will be driving her to school for the first 4 days and I have a car of my own so I know I will be able to get to work etc on time. I am just afraid that after my husband's vacation is over then my daughter will have to lock up on her own. My husband works at 830 and my daughter is being picked up at 820 by her friend and her friends mom. It is all worked out but as soon as that kid is sick, we lose her rid. There are no school buses here. Ahhhh!!

So many new changes. I wish I could win a lottery lol. Maybe one day. I would never work ever again and I would just volunteer all my time. I can't wait to retire and I am only 37. I should work now, save up, and happily retire.

I should mention that this school job isn't a horrible one or anything. It's just new. I am afraid I will be put in charge of the morning program though they never said I would but who knows. I just want to assist. I don't want to be in charge. I can't handle that type of pressure right now. I am just freaking out!!

I guess I should just breathe. Remember that I can do this. I have Christmas off, Spring Break and Summer break. 

I wish I could invent a magical confidence pill. Maybe a body transplant? 

Sunflower

Reading this thread: