Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Pressed buttons

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have this copy of the high school convocation I went to so many years ago, and looked up another student who became a physician.  I just went downhill after a death in my family, and it took forever to surface.  Barely making it through high school, I wonder about how I could have managed to not dodge those pressed buttons, since I was a sensitive boy.

Oh well, life goes on.

Davit,
There's so much focus on what "wrong", that our emotions, which are the lifeblood of all life's endeavours, get a bad name.  I remember being told they're normal, but must have missed this, or dismissed it, when it really mattered.

Just like those feelings on the Christmas eve, they're precious.  Who would tell a child their feelings on Christmas eve, when waiting for Santa to come, that the feelings need to manipulated, toned down, dismissed, sedated...i'm afraid that's what a lot people do for adults.

What's the difference?
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

Two words for you. "I won" Yes these feelings because of emotions are normal. Tell yourself this and when they go away say those two words, I won.

Davit
During a community meeting, a lot of things triggered emotions, but isn't that "normal".

Being isolated makes me make a mountain out of a grain of sand, so hopefully getting out more will allow me smooth the rough ride of just being human.  With practise feeling the surge and settling of my emotions, maybe I'd get used to this, and be able to form relationships?
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
People and situations will always push your buttons but it is still your choice what those buttons do.

Davit
Is it "fair" to say someone "pushes all your buttons", and continue to avoid the situation?

I'd rather be able to claim my space, and eventually get used to being around people, since avoiding never accomplishes anything but re-inforcing the stress.

Reading this thread: