Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Overcoming Being Overwhelmed

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As I return to my chiropractor, I'm given some encouragement by Teebs and Katie. 

I suppose anxiety doesn't help, does it?
11 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been having a lot of stomach issues off on and, too - and my stomach is one of my main anxiety triggers.

Of course the digestive tract and anxiety are highly interrelated, so I've had a really difficult time determining which is the chicken and which is the egg, so to speak. Is my anxiety causing my stomach issues, or the other way around? For me, I think I had a stomach bug a few months ago, and then my anxiety has kept some of the symptoms like mild nausea and pain persisting. To help support this theory, my naturopath did a test for me on the bacterial growth in my GI tract, and the results indicated I suffer from anxiety (ha!) and don't have any other major diseases or issues.

I've particularly had a really hard time coping at work. I have a severe fear of vomiting, so much so that I'm pretty sure that's why I don't even when I'm sick - it's been years and years since I've actually vomited. Still, every time I start having stomach issues that are probably anxiety-based, the flood of thoughts starts, "Am I going to get sick at work? How will I get home? What if people see me?" and the whole thing gets worse. 

So, Hugs, now that I write it out, I definitely feel stuck under my own waterfall too! I'm also trying to work my way back to my regular comfort with my regular schedule, and having a hard time of it.
11 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

This is why I haven't posted for the past couple of months. I've been having stomach problems on and off for the past year, and it's only in the past month I've felt like myself again. I can't remember the last time I had this much energy and my mind felt this clear.

January was the last time I threw up, and was the seventh time in a year. The fact the vomiting seemed to just be out of the blue was what I think hit me the hardest, I was always worrying "Is my sickness coming back again?"

I guess instead of a waterfall, a cyclone might be a better analogy. The storm comes through and causes fear and havoc, then you have the calmness of the eye of the storm before the rest of the cyclone comes through. You just have to wait for it to pass.

A couple of weeks ago, I had another bout of stomach upset from eating my favourite, French toast. Mum made it with butter and it was too greasy for my stomach :(
Although I felt a bit queasy for two days, I refused to give in to it this time. I made sure I ate only light, healthy meals and drank heaps of water.

I hope you feel better soon, ride out that storm. The sun will shine again!
Kaitie.
I'm doing the minimum, since daily things need to be done.  I might be feeling extra tired though, since I might have an earache, and need to see a physician.

As for shelter from the waterfall, I don't know how to get that.  I suppose I've been through this before, and shouldn't dwell so much on it.
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

Sorry to hear you have been feeling under the weather.

How have you been trying to seek shelter from the water fall? How have you been trying to manage?

Ashley, Health Educator
I'm getting over having some stomach issue 4 weeks ago, and my mom have something similar.  I feel overwhelmed, as I try to find my way back to my former pace and schedule of activities.  It seems so hard, since I try to do so much.

It's as though I'm under a powerful waterfall, and can't stop it.

Anybody have similar feelings?

Reading this thread: