Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Emetephobia

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone:  I agree, breaking things down one by one isn't as overwhelming as the whole project.  Baby steps are the way to go.  You can build on each one and pretty soon you've walked a long way.

Sunny
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi LenoreNevermore,

You've taken the first step by starting the program. The program is step by step, and you can do it at your own pace. You will know when you are ready for exposure work. It may be frightening right now, but the program is designed for you to reach those steps.

Like Teebs said, you dont't have to face all your fears all at once. If vomitting is your biggest fear, it may be helpful to tackle it when you feel more confident.

What do you need to feel confident enough to do exposure work?

Helena, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lenore,

Exposure can seem really scary at the beginning! It would be intolerable if you didn't go in with some coping tools, but that's what the first parts of the program are for. It's important to understand anxiety and what's happening to you, and to establish some things like relaxation techniques and methods for challenging your negative thoughts. When you've started doing these things starting out with exposure will be a do-able next step. Stick with the program, do the homework sheets, and post for support here, and you'll be able to develop an exposure plan that's right for you. Remember, you don't have to face your worst fears all at once! Even though we want to be over anxiety overnight, it's all about baby steps.

Take care,
Teebs
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just for laughs.

There was a spider in my jogging pants this morning. No I did not leave him in them for the exposure, but I did wonder if he was with a group. (shiver) There was a time when this would have bothered me.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi LenoreNevermore,

I am glad you have begun to work on the program.  Exposure work can be helpful when addressing a phobia.  It can be scarey but you will learn when and how it is ok to push yourself.  

If you were able to challenge this fear how do you think your life would be different?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I Started the first part of the program, I'm just sick of living in constant fear. I have to admit though that the thought of exposure work scares the heck out of me. I wonder if I'll be too cowardly to face my fears.
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lenore,

I also have an intense fear of vomiting. I haven't vomited myself since I was 11 years old (some sort of psychological repression?) and I also leave instantly if someone is getting sick or even talking about feeling like they might be sick. So, you're definitely not alone in this one!

I haven't worked specifically with this phobia, but have been working through the program here on this site and have found it helps a lot. I've also found that as I confront one anxiety issue at a time, many other issues start to improve simultaneously. For instance, a few months ago I was also having problems leaving the house. As I worked on and got better at this, my irrational fears about being sick after eating a big meal also started to fade.

I hope you'll work through the sessions here and do the homework, since all of us here are proof that they work! Feel free to post here on the forums at any time, too.

Teebs
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lenore,
I am agoraphobic, with anxiety and panic attacks. And many phobias. Even though I don't have the fear of vomitting, I understand how our unreasonable fears and anxieties affect our lives. For all my sons years in school I could never go sit in the auditorium to watch their plays and graduations, due to my fears.  So I understand how  you feel, like you're letting them down. If you read my other post about going to see a doctor, you will see that we are similar. My fear risked my life at times. So, yes, I have intense phobias also. Have you started this program? Its so good...I'm a changed person, I really am.
Please post as often as you want to, we are all here for each other.
Your new friend,
Juanita
13 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have many fears and phobias. I am currently housebound due to my panic attacks,fears and phobias. My biggest fear of all is vomiting or being around someone who is vomiting. I have run from my children when they're sick, I've abruptly left work when a coworker was sick. I refuse to go to fairs with rides and I have to take ativan to go to the doctors office (which is a rare occurance). I once had a psychologist ask me what the worst thing that could happen is. She stated plainly that I wouldn't die from vomiting and I told her I would rather die. Thats no exageration. Does anyone else have this phobia or a phobia tso intense? It breaks my heart that I can't care for my children when they're ill. Even just writing about it is making me anxious.

Reading this thread: