Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,671 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

getting over public panic

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ploppy:  Did you try a relaxation and visualization before leaving?  Maybe just some deep breathing and mindfulness.  I usually do the breathing exercises first then the relaxation and the visualization last.  Then I take my time and do things slowly, no rushing about.  Lots of positive talk, how wonderful it will be to be out at such and such a place, how good it is to leave the house for awhile and meet so and so, have lunch, whatever it is I plan for the day and tell myself I am strong, I can do this, I'm prepared and if I don't feel 100% ok so what,  I now have the knowledge to help myself, I've done this before and I can do it again.

hope some of these tips might be helpful to you.
13 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
just leaving the house right now makes me extremely anxious.but sometimes i feel ok, i dont know whats happeniing
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I remember the first time I consciously used distraction. I had just nipped into a store to get a belt. The owner wanted to talk about cantaloupe. ( I grow them) I started to panic and I just wanted to leave but I was trapped with my belt in my hands. I looked at the floor and it must have looked like I was in concentration but the truth was I was reciting my mantra "you can do this" It worked, we talked a bit about cantaloupe and I bought my belt and left. I was surprised it worked because I was new at this and didn't believe anything could work because before I would cope by just escaping and then be mad at myself for giving in.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great advice Teebs!

Yes, exposure is a gradual process.  Follow the guidelines in Session 4, it will explain the importance of building on exposure gradually.

There are ways to make hard exposure a bit easier to slowly get used to whatever you fear.  Teebs suggestion of going to a place for shorter periods of time is great advice.  You can also go with a safe person or without.  You can also go to a place closer to home as opposed to far away.

Members, what are some other suggestions?

Ploppy, tell us about some specific examples of hard areas you want to work on and then it might be easier for us to come up with exposure suggestions.

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ploppy - I think the key to exposure is to take it one step at a time. Jumping right into the deep end (the things that cause great panic) is not the way to go with exposure, but rather experiment with the things that cause moderate anxiety until they make you less anxious. Progress to things that are slightly more difficult one at a time and by the time you get to those steps that at the beginning caused great panic, they should be in the more manageable moderate panic range. Developing an exposure plan will help you figure out what step to take next, and what step is too big for now.

I also have the fear of panicking in public, and have found that giving yourself permission to take short breaks either in the bathroom or outside is a great coping mechanism. I also practice with shorter exposures - like going to a one hour lecture - and occasionally do more difficult ones like going to a movie (something longer). I've found over the last couple weeks the shorter exposures are getting easier and easier.
im also having problems coming up with the different steps for my wexposure plan, there are few things that cause mild anxiety that i can build on, then there are the things that cause great panic which are the things that i wanna cure. how do i get past this?

13 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ploppy,

Sunny gave you some great advice.  She offered a lot of great coping strategies.

In addition to her ideas check out Session 2 "Anxious Thoughts". This section will help you to understand the anxious thought cycle.  Although you do not think you will have a heart attack, you do think that your body cannot sustain itself in the state of panic it is in. This is a negative thought and it perpetuates and even escalates the anxiety.  How can you challenge this thought? 

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ploppy111:  Something that used to work for me - and I still use it once in awhile - is to excuse myself and go to the ladies' room where it is quieter and take a break, a breather - so to speak.  I would wash my hands with cold water, let it flow on the inside of my wrists where the pulse spots are all the while using positive self talk.  I would also take some deep breaths and get grounded again before going back out.  If it was really bad, I gave myself permission to stay a bit longer.  No one really noticed and if they did, I would just say I wasn't feeling very well but was getting better and I'd be out in a minute.  A glass of water, slowly sipped as I was "resting" helped too.  Most restrooms don't have cups so it might be harder for a glass, but maybe you've got bottled water.
One of the reasons the cold water on the wrists works - I read this in a support group I used to go to - is that animals in the wild, after a fight, often go and cool down in the river afterwards, it slows down the heart rate.  Another way to cool down is to place a cold towel (paper towel works) at the back of your neck.  Worth a try anyway.

How about distraction?  When you feel your heart start to race - whatever symptoms you may have - start looking at details around you, such as what colour the walls are.  Is there any art work you can look at for distraction.  What kind of flooring do they use.  If there are refreshments, get a cool drink and sip it, concentrate on the flavour and how it feels going down.  Can you stand outside for a little while and come back?  Have your drink outside.
One lady I knew used to keep a little rubber ball in her handbag.  When she felt the anxiety coming on, she'd squeeze it and that released some of her stress.  Is there something you could use that could work for you?  Perhaps you could practice it at home before going out.  Sort of like a plan of action, just in case.
One designated "safe place" I made for myself was my car.  If and when I was out and felt anxious, I could sit in my car for a few minutes until it passed.  For me it was "my" car, just like at home, so I felt secure there. I usually brought some water to leave in the car. 

Hope some of these tips might be helpful to you.
Sunny
i have found one problem that seems the centre of my problem with exposure work.
when i have a panic attack in public, i know that i am not going to have a heart attack or die instantly, as long as i get away immediately. the longer i seem to stay in the situation the more i become convinced that my body cant sustain the amount of pressure and panic i am putting it through and it seems to become worse rather than better.
any tips to help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Reading this thread: