Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Not to sure how to do this

14 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Sunny and Davit,

Everything you said makes tons of sense and I know I shouldn't be so worried...it will come, guess I'm just not at that point yet and who knows my hip may make the decision for me whether I like it or not. I have drafted the letter to my surgeon, I haven't sent it yet but at least I wrote it. One step at a time.
14 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Shadowkins:  When I had my surgery last summer my BP went very high because I was anxious.  I ws already at the hospital. The doctor decided to give me an ativan to calm me before surgery.   This was about an hour before. It calmed me enough so that by the time the prep was done I felt o.k.  I also have mild asthma so they had to prep me for that too.  Knowing this, that you can take an ativan before surgery, perhaps as Davit suggests it is a one day thing, you could have a talk with your doctor and ask if you could take something before you come in.  Let him/her know how anxious you are.  You are lucky you have your husband who will be with you afterwards.  Have faith in him that he loves you and will take real good care of you.(positive thoughts about afterwards).  I know, nobody likes, wants surgery, but sometimes we just gotta do it.  Wish I could be there to hold your hand.

Samantha,
I did go to an education session and a pre-op day and at the time I had no problem at all. The issue started when I had such a awful withdrawal from the tramacet ( which I have not taken since the 5 of march ). I think sub-consciously I have associated the withdrawal with the surgery. I know that but visualizing the outcome is where I am having such a problem.
I keep seeing myself at home, limited by the new surgery on my hip and having a panic attack with no help to be found....I no that is not the reality of it, my husband will be with me but it still bothers me a great deal.

I have had sugeries before and not thought a minute about it, go figure.

Davit,

Yes you are right my coping skills are not strong enough yet, neither is my relaxation. Things seem so easy when I take the clonazepam and have virtually no anxiety to deal with but I know this won't last forever.
Almost everyday I reread the information from the site and my group....it all makes sense.
I also know I have to speak with my surgeon and get him up to speed on what has been happening. Another issue is that I have lost alot of trust in doctors in general.....this isn't the first time I have followed instructions and been hurt in the process, the first time I landed in ER with my kidneys failing...all because I listened to my family doctor who told me to take two medications together. Now this withdrawal thing has really taken the cake.
Sorry , I don't mean to rant on about it, but I think finally letting off my chest may be the first step in the healing process.

Thanks again, for the support and insight.....the people are just the best.

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shadowkins.

You could go to the hospital and walk through it. You could have your doctor explain it. You could have me tell you about it. All unnecessary. First you are not ready to use exposure for this. Second it is not necessary. This is a one time thing not an every day thing. You will have to deal with it once only. It is separate from your other anxiety. It is different so treat it different. Plan on doing it under the influence of meds. Plan on doing it drugged so there will be no panic. This is what the drugs are meant for. One time use. This is not the same as an every day crutch which you know I would disapprove of. So book the operation and plan on doing it drugged and forget it till it is over.
I don't think you have got your relaxation and coping skills firmly enough in place to start exposure yet. Or at least full blown exposure. A little exposure helps to build relaxation techniques, but you have to go slow.(yes I know you don't want to go slow, It is in your voice) So book the operation and set it aside and together we will deal with your worry about it. There will be time. Trust me you can do this. When the thought of the operation comes up think about how good it will be the day after. Think positive thoughts. Don't worry about the clonazepam  you will get off it when the time is right and you are ready. It will happen.

Davit, here for you. 
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Shadowkins,

Thank you for sharing your fear with us. Regarding ways to do exposure work to prepare for your surgery, you can:

1) Talk to your doctor & ask questions about the outcome of the surgery
2) Talk to other people who have had surgeries before & ask questions (Support group members :))
3) Visualize the process 
4) Visualize the outcome

Continue to work through the exposure work section of the program as well as the other sessions. Strive and lean on us for support!

Samantha, Health Educator
I have gone through the exposure section of the program and many of the situations I don't really have a problem with...the one thing that really makes me anxious is the thought of my surgery. I haven't rebooked it yet but often find myself thinking about it and fearing the outcome...not the surgery itself but the fact that I have sleeping problems and anxiety I am
afraid that I will feel trapped and unable to cope.
How does one do exposure work in that case? Do you have any ideas on how I can overcome this obstacle?
It's just like my having trouble sleeping....sooner or later I will not be taking the clonazepam and will have to face it again. Many have told me that my change of life can also cause numerous problems i.e. anxiety, sleep problems, fatigue etc.
Has anyone here been or is going through their change of life and have these problems too.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate.

Reading this thread: