Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Exposure Work with NIght-time Anxiety

14 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There's a section on here in the program about box breathing - it's good stuff
14 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Can anyone tell me more about this box breathing and how do you like it?  I cant seem to find anything with information?

14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
TexanFemme, glad to see that you made it through the first night, and that it was only the cats playing in the cabinets that kept you up!

Hopefully once you get used to the new place you'll have no problem sleeping.

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
So last night was the 1st night in the new place. I was a li'l anxious when I went to get in bed. But I did a li'l box breathing & said some good mantras & got thru it... The only thing that actually DID keep me up were my gf's cats playing in the cabinets LOL
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi TexanFemme,

It is really exciting that you are moving in with your girlfriend. That will be great,  you will likely feel more at home to sleep every night with the new arrangement. Davit makes some really great points about panic and sleeping. Do make sure to practice relaxation techniques which you can read about in the program. Writing in a journal is also a great idea, this will help you express what you are experiencing and allow you to focus on what you are going through.

Check in soon.

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Texan.

Am I to presume your up this late cause your scared to sleep? Ok There is no panic when your asleep, only when you wake up. Exposure is thinking about it so you can bring it about in a mild state before going to sleep, but not to the point that you go into a full blown panic attack, but think about it and try to control it as best as you can. And if it gets out of hand then take something for it. It's in the book but since we have different versions I can't say what page. It also says that if you take something for it first then it doesn't work. I don't know about you but for me once the panic was over then I was fine till morning, so if I could do it before bed then I slept. I'm presuming You are at the point where you can say this isn't real so go away.  So you have till the 4th to do some exposure.(pun). Shouldn't matter if your alone. The thing according to the book is to try to induce it but keep it mild. The small print that they don't talk about is that it can take a long time, A very long time. I'm watching Polar express on Youtube. Good exposure for me because I'm claustraphobic on top of Agoraphobic. And what do you mean alone? You still have a computer start a journal, it will help with the anxiety.

Davit.
Ok, so here's my question... I usually have anxiety when I try to go sleep in my gf's bed. So Im wondering how to do exposure work when Im trying to go to sleep. I can't monitor my anxiety & sleep at the same time LOL Any suggestions?

Another thing Im gonna hafta deal with is that my gf & I are about to move in together. We got a whole new set of mattresses (queen instead of her full size bed) BUT Im gonna hafta be alone in the new place for a week from Jan 4th-10th!

Reading this thread: